Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Shallow Well
Cosby
# Posted: 17 Oct 2015 18:28

We have several acres that are very woody with some dense areas of under brush.
About a week ago, we happened to stumble on a shallow well pipe! We checked it out today. We don't know much about wells. We took the curve pipe off and attached a pitcher pump and it worked. We also dropped a line and sinker down. We would guess it's only about 10 feet deep. I'm really excited that we have water to clean with... what are the chances that it might be drinkable? It isn't near any visible problem areas.
Thanks!
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG

bldginsp
# Posted: 17 Oct 2015 18:39

I would guess that a well only that deep doesn't stand much chance of producing drinkable water. It must be taking surface water, and that means bacteria. When I put in my well the health department required a concrete seal around the pipe to a depth of 20 feet to keep surface water out.

When wells are drilled, usually there is a requirement to record what happened when it was done. Your local health dept. may have such a record- when drilled, how deep, rate of flow, etc. Worth making a call to find out. They are probably the best ones to tell you if it's drinkable, too, cause they know the local conditions.

It's cheap to have the water tested by a local lab for bacteria.

What luck to stumble across an unknown well!

Cosby
# Posted: 17 Oct 2015 18:46

I know! It's crazy we found it. If you saw the dense brush... I can't even explain it. Hmm.. what is that over there?

I would bet you are right. Likely not put in for drinking water. The folks use to camp on the property.... I bet they put it in strictly to clean and wash with. We're pretty stoked that we only have to carry in drinking water now

Anyone know what the little pipe coming off the bottom is for?

hattie
# Posted: 17 Oct 2015 21:49 - Edited by: hattie

Our well is only 14 ft deep and is a dug well. It is very drinkable. We run a small motel and use that water for drinking, watering the gardens, showers, laundry, and everything else you use water for. We get it tested regularly and have never had a bad reading. We've had really dry weather here this past year (and other years) and the well has never run dry. Just because it is shallow doesn't mean it isn't drinkable. I'd get it tested and find out for sure.

The side pipe is probably for draining it in the winter so it won't freeze.

Cosby
# Posted: 18 Oct 2015 08:11

Thanks Hattie. We are going to have it tested and see what we come up with.

Cosby

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 18 Oct 2015 13:44

For what it's worth...since it's a shallow well that may not be sealed, a good test today may not mean the water quality will be the same down the road.
I'd filter it regardless, doesn't hurt. Great find!

Cosby
# Posted: 18 Oct 2015 18:54

Is there a way we could "seal" it?

Cosby

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 19 Oct 2015 11:59

Maybe these links will help.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/environment/housing-technology/moisture-management/drivi ng-a-wellpoint/

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/DG/DG0022.pdf

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.