Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Refrigerator on solar... help
squeaks
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 11:51

Hello,
I would like to purchase a 10ish cubic refrig. that I could run on my solar panel. However, I'm not good with figuring out what would work and what won't so that is why I'm asking for some help. I have seen the DC ones but they are too expensive.
Here is my current setup. I have a 260 watt solar panel that goes to (2) 12volt marine batteries. There is a control charger between the batteries and the panel. I'm currently running 12 led lights that use 1/2 an amp a piece. Other then the lights nothing else is hooked up to the solar system.
If you could post a link to an inverter and a refrigerator that would work for my setup I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks...

creeky
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 17:08

squeaks. to run a small fridge like that you'll use around a kilowatt of power a day.

so a good 600 to 1kw of solar panels. Around 600 to 1000 amps of storage at 12v. Much less of course if you go for the new lithium batteries.

you need a 1kw puresine inverter of good quality.

for the refrigerator check out the big box stores. and if you search my posts you will find my set up. I have a 1kw/1200 amp hr system and run a Magic Chef 10 cu ft. Along with a lot of other stuff.

Good luck.

rockies
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 19:51

Any thoughts on the "Sunfrost" fridges or other brands?

rockies
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 20:03 - Edited by: rockies

Found this article.

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/products/appliances/refrigerators-freezers

The "Nova-Kool" fridge article says that energy consumption can be reduced to 550 watt hours per day if 2" of rigid insulation is added to the exterior box (not door) on site.

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/novakool-dc-refrigerator-model-rfu9000

DaveBell
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 03:00

Engel 12V frig, from down under.

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 10:40

Engel's are great for what they are meant for. However the OP wants a 10 cu ft refrigerator. Sunfrost's work efficiently but are too expensive especially with the drop in the price of PV panels. FWIW, for a full time residence I believe it makes most sense to buy a highly efficient residential style refrigerator; 120 VAC and add to the PV panels. More battery capacity would also be nice. For part time recreational use I still think propane refrigerators are very workable if they are not left running in between cabin uses.

Nova-Cool are great fridges but are as expensive as propane fridges in the larger sizes. I do like the smallersizes for small RV's.

rockies
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 19:35

If you look at the Backwoods Solar catalogue, they have a lot of information on picking appliances, designing a solar power system, etc.

I also found this brand of fridge:

http://www.uniqueoffgrid.com/en-Ca/Products/Product-Line-up_/Solar-Appliances/UNIQUE- 470-L.html

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 20:01

The Unique specs look good, but nobody seems to publish a price. The call and ask thing always makes me think it is out of reach of most folks.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.