Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Battery heated shower
Teddysgrandad
# Posted: 31 Oct 2015 18:25

Hi all
Just wondering if it would be possible to rig up a battery powered heated shower, mains supply for recharge at present but to switch to solar in the future. Has anyone attempted this? Any advice welcomed thanks.

Steve_S
# Posted: 31 Oct 2015 19:25

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are after with this question.

I do not know of any [ Solar -> Battery -> Inverter ] system that would heat water with an element... That would destroy the batteries in no time flat, just as bad as an electric Baseboard Heater, or On Demand water heaters... it's the element that is the killer. These are 1kw +...

Possibly using a Solar Water Heater for "water" that goes into an insulated holding tank and then pumping that towards your shower may be an alternative solution but I think you'll still need some On Demand Propane Water Heater to bring temps up. But having pre-warmed water would certainly reduce the LPG cost as it would just have to raise it to 110/120F depending on where you want to set it. Depending of course on your geographic location and the "cold seasons" you get. It can be done in most climates (even folks in Alaska have done it) BUT that increases the complexity & design and therefore setup costs.

Teddysgrandad
# Posted: 31 Oct 2015 20:23

Thanks Steve, don't know where I was going either! It was a general thought as if it would be possible to use say 2 truck batteries to heat water for a shower and then recharge the batteries throughout a 24 hr period. I get your point ref the power draw from the heating element, I was just wondering if there was a way without the expense of a calor water heater. Many thanks for your knowledge.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 31 Oct 2015 22:01

Hey Teddydgranda

The power needed to heat enough water for a shower would be much to great for a batterie system. Its much more economical to use propane.

Teddysgrandad
# Posted: 1 Nov 2015 05:59

Hi Ontario Lakeside
Many thanks for your info, guess I'll have to think about using the propane system, it was just a thought, as it happens not a very educated electrical one at that. Thanks all the same.

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Nov 2015 11:35

No, to electric water heating from batteries / solar. You could use a water heat collection panel and a storage tank with a small DC solar powered pump to circulate the water. There are propane fueled storage tank water heaters that incorporate a heat exchanger coil.

Teddysgrandad
# Posted: 1 Nov 2015 19:26

Thanks for your info MtnDon, looks as though I'll abandon the battery idea and be sensible.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.