Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Keeping Cabin Warm...?
Eva91
# Posted: 2 Nov 2015 12:32

I am in the process of building a 16 x16 cabin. Actually, the frame is done, just needs siding. Will be insulating and doing the floor and walls throughout the winter, snow and temperature permits.

I've got quite a bit figured out, as it is completely off grid since the nearest power pole is 2 miles away and natural gas line is another mile, but the heating is making me scratch my head. I'm heating with wood. no problem. However, I am away from home at work for approx. 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. How do I keep my cabin remotely warm so nothing freezes while I am away? There will be no one to throw a log on while I am gone. I'm looking for a....cheaper route to go to take the chill off. What is a good little heater? Propane?

I will eventually be purchasing solar panels and a generator, but for now, I need to figure everything out BEFORE next winter since it may be my first in it.

Thanks!

groingo
# Posted: 2 Nov 2015 15:33 - Edited by: groingo

No brainer, Propane.

darz5150
# Posted: 2 Nov 2015 15:43

Is there propane delivery available?
Quoting: groingo
No brainer, Propane.

I agree.
There is tons of info on this forum about different types of heaters........vented/ nonvented etc.

darz5150
# Posted: 2 Nov 2015 15:47

Just type in "heaters" in the search bar on the left. That will give you a lot of options/opinions.

NorthRick
# Posted: 2 Nov 2015 16:18

Some of the new wood stoves out there can run for 9hrs easy. All we have up here to burn is spruce and birch and folks can get 10-12hrs of burn time with a full load. If you have access to better (more BTUs) wood, you should be able to burn even longer between fills.

Blaze King is a popular brand of stove up here, but there are others.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 3 Nov 2015 02:07

If the cabin is insulated nine hours away is not going to allow the cabin to freeze If you bank the stove before you leave. you should be ok.

If you want to stay away longer a direct vent propane heater is a good option off grid. I use an 18000 btu direct vent propane heater along with the wood stove. I am estimating at least 90 percent of the heat comes from the wood stove. The combination has worked well so far.

I am researching the ups and downs of using a Toyo stove with solar for the power source. The downside of propane is its reliabilify in the cold.

Topper
# Posted: 15 Nov 2015 15:46

Ak Seabee,
Have you checked with RES, Renewable Energy Systems of Alaska?

Was talking with them at the home show this past spring, here in Fairbanks. They have a solar setup that will more than handle a Toyostove.

Their website shows an Anchorage store as well.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 15 Nov 2015 16:22

Good call Topper. I bought the solar system this fall but have not completed the install. I should have the install completed in the spring and test the Toyo after.

Topper
# Posted: 15 Nov 2015 17:06

Ak Seabee,

I'll be interested in knowing how your system works!

Both my son & I are considering this setup for our cabins.

Salesman said the system will handle both the Toyo & a small freezer, at the same time, with room left over for lights, &c.

Sure would like to replace the drip-oil heater! That supplements the woodstove...

FeelFree
# Posted: 8 Dec 2015 01:27

You could always go with a ventless propane heater.

beachman
# Posted: 8 Dec 2015 06:32

What kind of fuel does the Toyo burn? What is the power requirement if using solar? (Watts, Amps, etc...) Do you have to hook this thing up to a fuel source, or just fill it occasionally?

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 8 Dec 2015 11:30

Toyo stoves burn Diesel or home heating fuel.
I have a RSF princess wood stove. You can easily get a 9 hr burn out of it. Keep it simple use wood.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 8 Dec 2015 13:51

Beachman, the Toyo uses between 50 and 85 watts to operate however during ignition may spike from 500 to 600 watts. The specs say a modified sine wave inverter may work but recommend a pure sine wave inverter of greater than 500 watts. The fuel source is either kerosene or #1 fuel oil as littlesalmon stated. Fuel consumption is low and kerosene works well at -40 or lower.

Jebediah
# Posted: 17 Dec 2015 07:35 - Edited by: Jebediah

If your cabin is well insulated and you have an efficient wood stove 9 hours shouldn't be an issue. Propane vented heaters, with thermostat,(not cheap) easy to install with a consistent heat level. I have 2 empire dv-15's if I'm away for 2 days or more I will use them on the lowest temp setting. Ashley vented heaters come in an 8-11k btu model and are sold at Home depot.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.