Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Lining an Out House Pit?
toddheyn
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 18:25

I am planning to build an outhouse on our property next spring and am wondering if I will need to have the pit lined with anything to prevent it from caving in and colapsing.

If I would need to, what would be the cheapest way to go? A couple of 55 gallon barrels with the tops and bottoms cut out stacked on top of each other?

Any other ideas?

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Oct 2010 20:29

Quoting: toddheyn
Any other ideas?

To keep from limiting future build considerations, I created a privvy with removeable waste (5 gal pail).
semi finished Loo
semi finished Loo

bobrok
# Posted: 2 Nov 2010 19:31

I just relocated my outhouse and I 'cribbed' the sides of the pit and put in a lining of sheet plastic over that. I had a whole lot of scrap 1 x 6 PT pieces and framed all four sidewalls, then stapled an old swimming pool cover to it for the lining. I try to reuse everything I can get my hands on and not throw anything away.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 2 Nov 2010 22:29

I'm going to use the no-climb horse wire we use for our stone-bucks with a layer of hardware cloth on the outside. I want my pit to breath but not cave in. We are going to compost our pits.

larryh
# Posted: 5 Nov 2010 13:32

I had the same issues with my clay soil wanting to cave in. In a book on outhouses I purchased some time back was a plan for a wood frame consisting of 1/6 boards nailed to corner post with inch gaps between them for water to escape. I built it in the garage and then pulled it to the pit which I dug to allow for it to be lowered in place. It has been in use for three years now and still works fine. I made it just slightly smaller than the outhouse and that way I could run long lag screws from the lower frame of the outhouse to the underground framework and it hold it from possible wind problems. I had one outhouse to blow over in a high wind. I used exterior treated wood so it wouldn't be rotting before it had done its job.

Larry

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.