Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Ground Rod Installation
VC_YamahaRider
# Posted: 4 Nov 2015 07:26

Over the weekend I tried to drive my 8ft ground rod into the ground but unfortunately there is a bed of sand stone about 4 ft deep which I can't break through. What other options do I have to ground my cabin? Can I cut the ground rod in half and drive the two 4ft sections next to each other and then tie them together with a jumper?

Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Nov 2015 07:56 - Edited by: Steve_S

Hopefully this helps. Scanned the tiny section out of one of my electrical code guides... It's not USA but likely quite similar. Hope it's of use.

As opposed to an 8' Rod, have you considered using a large Grounding Plate ? Something like this Galvanized Ground Plate C/W Connector
Rock Bottom grounding
Rock Bottom grounding

creeky
# Posted: 4 Nov 2015 09:10

I used the ground plate. It's code in my area. I buried mine 3 ft. Later found out you only need to be 2 feet down. Would work with your sandstone.

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Nov 2015 09:35 - Edited by: MtnDon

You can also try up to a 45 degree angle or bury the rod in a horizontal trench. NEC in US indicates 30" depth minimum

mikeholt.com info link

see (G) and (H)

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Nov 2015 10:22

Drive it in at an angle.
I think code has changed in my area, they want 2 of them, so many feet apart and the solid ground wire bonded to both of them

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Nov 2015 14:21 - Edited by: MtnDon

Two are also required if the inspector wants to get real nit picky and actually check the ohms resistance. With only one rod there is no circuit to measure.

6 feet or greater separation.

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Nov 2015 18:24

The idea is to get as much earth contact as possible, as deep as possible, so that you have as little resistance as possible. Moisture in the earth helps conducting so the deeper you go the better. If you are planning to put in any trenches for pipe or foundations you can add more grounding later by putting rebar or #2 copper wire in the trench.

The electrical code says to bond anything that can function as an electrode to the grounding electrode system, such as metal water pipes, rebar in footings, etc. Actually a ground rod is one of the worst earth connections just because it is so small and has less area. But usually it's good enough if driven the whole 8 feet, cause it will probably hit moist earth.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.