Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Generator Panel for Routing Solar
Scott G
# Posted: 10 Nov 2015 10:44 - Edited by: Scott G

Hi,
I've installed a small generator panel in my cabin. From that the cabin has been wired per normal with 110V plugs and a couple of lights/switches.

The idea is to have one side (of the two input switch) fed by a generator - via a proper receptacle and the other side fed by an inverter (once I buy the solar system).

The panel is same as attached - mechanical toggle between inputs - 60 amp.

Somewhat too little to late to ask now but will this work for me? Thanks.
panel.jpg
panel.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Nov 2015 14:25

When it is a case of using either a generator, or solar generated power via an inverter, the normal thing is to have a transfer switch before the panel input. Then either solar / inverter or generator input is selected. That way everything in the cabin can be powered.

An inverter / charger often has an internal automatic transfer switch, so "no fuss, no bother". Start the generator and after a timed warm up period the switch transfers from inverter output to generator pass through output.

Scott G
# Posted: 10 Nov 2015 16:28 - Edited by: Scott G

Thanks. So then where this is a transfer switch built into a small panel i should be good to go.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Nov 2015 17:52

How many AC amps do you need to switch? And does this need to pass an NEC inspection? If you have no official inspection you could consider an RV automatic transfer switch such as this. That is a 30 amp model, there is also a 50 amp version. They need to be mounted inside something, another weatherproof box or in side the building.

If you need NEC approved use Google. There are manual and auto models. They do cost more. The one linked too meets the RVIA criteria but not NEC. Maybe just because they have not been tested, maybe some other reason. I have that exact model in my trailer. It has a 30 second delay between when it "sees" AC from the generator or shore side before it switches.

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 Nov 2015 20:42

Scott- what is that panel you are showing us? You say it has a toggle between two different power sources? Sounds like it has a transfer switch built into it. Got a model # and manufacturer? The auto transfer switch Don talks about is convenient, but maybe you already have what you need.

Scott G
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 07:52

Sure:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.30-amp-square-d-generator-panel-with-18-spaces-36- circuits-maximum.1000722300.html?redir=s

"Manually switch from utility power to stand-by generator power in seconds" - where utility for me will be the inverter.

- Appreciate the comments

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 09:15

Yes, that is a manual transfer switch. That's all you need.

Make sure you understand how to properly connect grounds and neutrals. This switch probably does not switch the neutral, so your bond of ground and neutral occurs at the power source, which should occur both at the inverter and at the generator, or, perhaps, at the inverter only (assuming it substitutes for a utility service). Don't bond grounds and neutrals in the panel itself.

Interesting grounding and bonding issue- should grounds and neutrals be bonded in both the inverter and generator, or just inverter? That's a theoretical issue for electricians- for your purposes, be sure the grounds and neutrals are bonded at either the inverter or generator, or both, but not at the panel itself. Grounds and neutrals must be bonded for the breakers to trip in a ground fault, and usually are bonded at the utility service. But you don't bond at the subpanel because then neutral current can pass through the ground wire.

This all assumes that the neutral is not switched at the main transfer switch. If it is, it is essential that grounds an neutrals be bonded at both inverter and generator.

I'm sure you're confused now- sorry- if in doubt, hire a licensed electrician.

Scott G
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 16:28 - Edited by: Scott G

Yes, that is a manual transfer switch. That's all you need. Excellent.

I'm sure you're confused now - Absolutely.

if in doubt, hire a licensed electrician.
No doubt - nephew is licensed and doing the work.

Thanks man, appreciate it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.