Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Foot Powered Washing Machine
KelVarnsen
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 08:04

I just came across this crowdfunded campaign for a small off grid washing machine. There are 11 days left to back the project and they are close to their goal.

Drumi: The Foot Powered Washing Machine
The Drumi is a foot-powered washing machine that uses minimal amounts of water and no electricity.

Brknarow
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 11:05

I really wish someone would come up with something like this large enough to actually do a load of laundry though.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Dec 2015 13:21

Yeah, someone posted this awhile back. It's awfully small, as are so many of the offgrid options.

Interestingly enough, here I am ongrid and my full-size, frontload washer suddenly decided it won't do the final spin cycle. With these things being a costly diagnostic and repair bill, and with me selling and moving within the next five months, I'm not fixing it. I've been using other options.

I bought a commercial-sized Rubbermaid mop bucket on wheels for $60. It has a generous-sized compartment in which to wring a big mop with a handle on the side that you pull. That compartment is easily detachable from the bucket. I also picked up a plunger from the dollar store to use as an agitator.

The bucket fits a LOT of laundry and it's quite easy to plunge away at the clothes/bedding and use the wringer. The clothes come out VERY clean! Not ideal if you're used to ongrid living but it's cheap and it works well. A bit heavier on water usage, though, if you're used to being a water miser.

I'm planning to get a Magic Chef portable washer (electric) for the cabin. Great reviews, not a power or water hog, and convenient. But I'll use the bucket sometimes, too, when I can be more hands-on because it really does work and it's quick!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Dec 2015 13:25

Oh, I should add that I'm not using the bucket exclusively now, either. My washer does all of the other functions fine so I'm washing my clothes in it and then wringing out the excess water in the bucket at the end, in lieu of the final spin. I Googled the problem and tried all of the simple fixes suggested, even taking apart the door assembly. Nope, must be a computer issue.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.