Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Pitcher Pump as backup for a well?
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 31 Jan 2016 19:13

I saw the other thread on lining a well, but didn't want to "take over" that thread on a related question... so here's a new thread.

I have an existing well which was professionally installed, which also has a 220v electric pump. The well is capped with a metal cover.

Is it possible to modify the cap and put a "backup" pitcher well pump on the well?

If my electricity ever goes out... i'm looking for a way to get the water out of the well the old fashioned way.

Any ideas? Would I just install another PVC pipe into the exiting well sleeve, and then attach the pitcher pump to the new pipe?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Rich

DaveBell
# Posted: 31 Jan 2016 19:30

Is that well about 150' deep?

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 31 Jan 2016 19:38

I'm not sure how deep it is Dave. It was installed by the prior owner of my cabin.

The name of the company that dug and installed the well is on the cap. I've called them in the past, but I don't think they kept records on how deep it is (or they didn't want to look it up).

I know counties give permits for wells... but not sure if they record the depth either.

Jebediah
# Posted: 31 Jan 2016 19:51

If I recall , I think they are only good for 25' of lift....don't quote me on that ....

aktundra
# Posted: 31 Jan 2016 23:00 - Edited by: aktundra

Find out how deep the well is.

Jebediah is correct. Most pitcher pumps are good up to about ~20' but I have seen some pumps on Lehman's website good for deeper wells (between 120 and 200') but prices range from $500-$1000:
http://non-electric.lehmans.com/hardware/Hand-Well-Pumps

These one Lehman sells is good to 200' but is very expensive. With that price, you might be better off buying a 110V 1/2hp pump and running it off a generator.
https://www.lehmans.com/p-2820-stainless-steel-deep-well-pump-head.aspx

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 08:42

Thank you all for the information. I will try to find out the depth of the well.

The other alternative would be to replace the well pump with one that would be able to run off of a solar/battery bank.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 08:59

I looked back through all the paperwork and found the permit for the well.

It says Class III C well, cased 20', grouted 20'.

Perhaps I'll pull the cap off and inspect the well. Probably can't hurt anything (including myself, as long as I turn the 220v breaker off, haha).

Just
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 09:16

If you have a submersible pump and a pit less adapter the simple answer is " no " unless the water level is within 20 ft . of the top of the well .

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 16:27

I've been considering a pitcher pump for one of my water tanks (cistern). A benefit to them is that the water goes right back down into the tank or well right after you're done pumping so it won't freeze up in the winter. Home Depot sells a reasonably priced pitcher pump on its website.

DaveBell
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 16:31

Well, I guess other ideas could include a 220V generator ($$$) or a larger/second storage vessel to get you through the power outage.

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 18:10

Rich- my well report listed both the total depth of drilling and the water level. Looks like yours only shows casing and grout. Since we are having a drought here, I've been monitoring the water level myself with an old deep sea fishing reel, 80 lb test nylon line with a brass plumb bob on the end of it. I marked 20 foot increments on the line with a permanent marker. There are also sonic machines that tell the depth by echo.

There are numerous electric well pumps made to work off solar. Grundfos makes one that will work off DC or AC, and will accept a wide range of voltages. So it could be run by solar or 240 off a generator or utility. $2000.

There are also much less expensive pumps that work off one or two solar panels. Texas ranchers use them to water cows in remote areas.

Jebediah
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 06:28 - Edited by: Jebediah

You could also drive a well point, depending on the ground and depth of water table. You don't need to get as fancy as this one with the concrete slab.
0951f01.gif
0951f01.gif

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 09:19

Thank you! I'll also look into solar well pumps too.

aktundra
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 15:41

Rich -

If you've got water at 20', driving a well should be fairly easy like Jebediah points out.

Here's how I put a well in at my place:
https://akcub.wordpress.com/2015/09/25/driving-a-shallow-well/

I also found this (after doing my well of course) which is a website that explains in greater detail.
http://www.drillyourownwell.com/

Feel free to ask if you have questions.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 06:48

aktundra... thanks so much for the references.

I have also been contemplating putting a well on another part of my property, so this really came in handy.

Thanks so much to all who replied.

Don_P
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 08:39

The report was not saying you had water at 20', the well is simply cased down to the rock at 20'. Mine is cased 40' but the static water level is around 120'. I have used a deep well hand pump that went down several hundred feet, it simply has multiple pump rods and flappers at ~20' intervals, like an old windmill pump. It takes a bit of time and effort to get the first splash.

Jebediah
# Posted: 4 Feb 2016 14:47

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
I've been considering a pitcher pump for one of my water tanks (cistern).

In my younger days we had no running water(it wasn't that long ago!), we had a hand pump in our farm house mounted next to the kitchen sink. I'm not sure if it was from a cistern or if our house was built over the well. Two distinct noises that would wake me up early in the morning; my grandmother stoking up the cook stove and the creaking noise of the pitcher pump.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.