Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Larger standby generator
Josh8880
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 07:13

Hi all, been a while since I've posted on here, but I wanted to pick your collective brains again. I'm a guide in Maine, but from PA. I'm deciding between 2 different cabins up in Maine. The one I like best is 3/4 mile from grid power. It'd be quite costly to run electric to it. I would want to rent it out, kind of like "air bnb" style. So I'd want it to be very turnkey upon arrival for people to start up a generator and have power. Right now, an 8000 watt, loud gas generator powers it fine. But you have to know how to start it..it's tougher when it's cold, etc. My question is, are the standby units much easier to turn on...so if a guest who had zero experience with one, could flick a switch, and have reliable, quiet power? Thanks in advance! Josh

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 08:54

Can you do with less wattage? Or does it require that much. I have a Honda EU6500is at home, its been superseded by Honda with the EU7000is, its fuel injected, electric start, you can control it remotely. Its jsut as quiet as the EU2000is. Spendy, retails for a smidge over $4000. I paid cash for mine and was able to get it for $3125 shipped, no sales tax. Its still a portable, ie wheels and handle kit (included) so you can take it home.

If you can go smaller, the Honda EU3000is electric start. Nice unit too.

beachman
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 09:10

Josh, Off-grid rental is a risky situation. I don't think anything is or can be "turn-key". You mention guests with zero experience - I would shy away from that - OR pay the big bucks for the grid power into the property. What about heat? That genny better be a big one if there is electric heat. It will not be as efficient as grid power for heat.

People who live on-grid have no concept of power use for off-grid and will likely over tax any off-grid system. You could have a large camp manual with a waiver to sign upon renting with a substantial deposit.

We have off grid places over in NB and I would only let seasoned users stay there at any time of the year. Just my $.02 ($.03 in Canada).

Thelar
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 13:05

Where abouts in Maine is your "camp"? Are you the only camp that would benefit from pulling power to your site? We had a similar situation when we bought our first camp about 15 years ago. It was off grid, but power was just down the road. There were three camps between the power and our site and two camps past ours. I worked with the other owners who wanted power to offset the cost to just pull power to my camp. It still ended up costing me around $4000, but It could have been $15000.

Josh8880
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 16:56

Beachman,
Good advice...it's definitely a concern of mine to have people there with zero experience, so I value that input. The heat is propane, and also a woodstove.

Toyota,
I think I might be able to get away with slightly less wattage, especially if it's used strategically. The larger Hondas get bulletproof reviews. Would you ever buy used from a rental store?

Thelar,
It's in western Maine, northern Oxford county. Unfortunately no one else would benefit, we are the last dwelling on the "road". That also is what is so nice about it though.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 20:48

Josh, my EU6500 will run my electric hot water tank, my range, cooktop and electric dryer, just not more than one of those heavy loads at a time. It also does it in "eco mode" and barely a whimper out of the generator. I know its plenty to run everything at your end if you have gas heat or woodheat.

Usually rental places maintain them, ie service when needed. I know a buddy who works for a rental outfit and when they sell an item, they go all through it to make sure its sound. Not all may do this, but his does.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.