Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / I have sad news.
rayyy
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 14:07

Alass my beloved Genny died today.She served me well for 3 1/2 years and some 8000 hours of care free electricity.(probably more)That work's out to be about 10 cent's an hour for her services.I will miss her dearly and hope that her new sister can be as good as she was.Goodby dear Genny!

Smawgunner
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 16:27

Is she an organ donor?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 16:45

What make was it and how may watts?

What will its replacement be?

hamish
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 20:13

Very excessive use of you generator over its life span, nearly 4 hours of use daily.............10 cents an hour....hmmmm

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 20:15

10 cents an hour for the hardware? How much for gasoline, oil....?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 20:55

Was it a shocking death?

Salty

AK Seabee
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 22:26

What is wrong with the Honda genny and can it be repaired? Just curious on my end as I and quite a few friends have the eu2000 and I have yet to see one fail (I dont know anyone with 8,000 hours however😊).

groingo
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 01:03

Sounds like time for a short block if the engine is what gave up.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 02:45 - Edited by: Julie2Oregon

Quoting: Smawgunner
Is she an organ donor?

Oh, well done!

rayyy
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 17:51

HONDA EU2000I
I just think it's old age.I'm use to going out there,,,on,,,chock,,,half tug on the rope unchoke and wah-lahhhh,,,,electricity.Maybe 5 seconds time at most.But she has been tugging awful hard cranking last week.Once running she was not feeling well and would run for a few minutes then crapped out for no reason several times.A lot of hours on her.

groingo
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 18:50

rayyy

groingo
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 18:50

I have to ask the obvious, water in the gas or carb?

AK Seabee
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 19:16

If its pulling hard it may not be fuel related but just in case draining and cleaning the carburetor is simple and often effective.
Also, the jets in the carb may be clogged. Google Honda eu2000 clean carburetor and watch the youtube video. it really is simple to clean the carb and jets.

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 19:32 - Edited by: MtnDon

Hard pulling as in increased resistance to the engine turning over? That would be indicative of a mechanical problem, which at 8000 hours may not be worth pursuing.

bobrok
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 20:43

I burned the valves on a generator once. A Dewalt 2900 watt. Cord wouldn't pull as if there were an obstruction. Had the engine fixed and it's still running today.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 21:16

Quoting: AK Seabee
Google Honda eu2000 clean carburetor and watch the youtube video. it really is simple to clean the carb and jets.

The pilot jet or idle circuit as it may be called can be removed and cleaned without even taking the carb off or apart. You do have to remove the idle stop screw (minimum idle) and then it (pilot jet) just lifts out.

This is the culprit when you have erratic idle on low speeds, ie eco mode.

hamish
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 22:56

What the compression? Have you checked the valves? Done a leakdown test?

Its worth more to you parted out, than repairing it unless you have the ability to perform the repairs yourself, it could be something very very simple.

rayyy
# Posted: 18 Feb 2016 17:52

Well we will see I just put the new Gen 3 into service tonight.I'll let the old girl thaw out and see if she is OK.If so I'll have a back up genny to use in the camper and to pump water out of the creek.Love those Honda EU2000I,s.

Al Burton
# Posted: 19 Feb 2016 13:06

Must be the season. I went our cabin on the weekend and when I went to start the trusty Honda EU3000is ...no go. I noticed while cranking that the low oil light was flickering so checked the oil and low and behold there was none! I had just changed the oil not long before so I knew something was not good. Filled it up and away it went running just fine. I only used it briefly then shut it off. Looking underneath I could see the oil dripping out. I took it home with me and tore it down and found the crank seal between the engine and the generator head had blown out. I am just in the process of re-assembling now. The interesting thing I discovered while looking around the internet is that I could buy a brand new complete motor from Honda for $239.00! I am not sure about the 2000I but for the 3000is this would be the ticket for anything more serious or on a motor with lots of hours.

hamish
# Posted: 21 Feb 2016 19:28

Al,

You may wish to verify the crankshaft dimensions.

Tapered crankshaft motors usually draw a much heavier premium than the regular GX200 with a plain ole 3/4" keyed and tapped crankshaft.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Feb 2016 21:37

Al, I have found Honda parts to be real low cost.

groingo
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 11:06

So, what did you replace it with?

You mentioned it was tugging hard or was it actually taking more pulls than normal?
Hard tugging in winter could be the oil gelatinizing but the best sure fire way to tell is a compression test, that being the case it could either be rings or a blown head gasket or fried valves.
I picked up an illuminated borescope with a 70 degree backwards looking attachment that hooks via USB port to your Windows laptop or tablet that lets you look inside the engine without need for tear down for $28.00 from Amazon, works great, does stills and video!

Al Burton
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 12:39

Hamish: That price was for the proper motor for the EU300is. I was surprised as well. It is a bit different than an off the shelf gx200 apparently. Here is a link to the forum where I found the info. Pretty interesting. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146258

Toyota: Yes the seal was only about $5.00 U.S. It was getting to it that was fun! It is all back together now and running perfect. The seal had totally blown out of the housing and was just floating on the crank between the housing and the generator head. I am thinking either the pcv valve in the valve cover stuck or maybe it just vibrated out. I have one of those big pneumatic tire kits on it and it does tend to vibrate more because of that.
IMG_1479.JPG
IMG_1479.JPG
IMG_1480.JPG
IMG_1480.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.