Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Ikea Hack - $17 Cabinet
LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 22 Feb 2016 12:03 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

Hey folks, thought I would post up pics of my most recent project which was to create a small off-grid sink for the teeny cabin.

This is where it started - a $17CAD Ikea Fullen Cabinet:
cabinet

And the finished product (apologies for the crap phone pics):
sink-1

sink 2

sink 3

sink 4

See it in action here
Off-grid sink

Overall, pretty pleased with how it turned out considering I'm a hack lol. The pressure on that shower unit is much better than expected.

hattie
# Posted: 22 Feb 2016 13:01

Ikea products are great for creative people. It is amazing what you can do with some of their items. We purchased a table top that was on sale and a set of 2 table legs. Bob mounted the table top to the window sill and added the legs to the other end and voila - instant reception desk for our small motel and it cost practically nothing.

I enjoy seeing what people come up with Ikea hacks! Your sink is amazing! I really like the fold-down part on the side. Great job!!

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 22 Feb 2016 13:15 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

Thanks Hattie! When your living space is 8x8 you damn well better be creative :P

Great idea on that desk of yours. Got to love Ikea!

AK Seabee
# Posted: 23 Feb 2016 01:21

Great video. Can you reduce the water pressure?

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Feb 2016 07:08

That's great! I love the simple but totally functional way you have it plumbed! Looks good, too! Well done!

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 23 Feb 2016 10:54

Thanks AK Seabee. Unfortunately there is no way to dial back the pressure that I can see. Wish there was as it could get messy if we aren't careful. There are two versions of this particular shower unit, one uses batteries and may not have the same jam. I opted for the 12V as it has the separate on off switch.

@ Julie - Appreciate the feedback. Fun little project and not too expensive which is always nice lol

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 01:14

LoonWhisperer
Regarding the shower head, I don't know if this will work for you but since I've been looking at these showers to use as a shower, lol, I've read a lot of feedback on them. Some folks have replaced the shower head with a kitchen sprayer, instead, so they could easily turn the spray on and off.

Now, I don't know HOW they did it but a lot of them have and it works really well, apparently. LOL, if you do it and are happy with it, be sure to let me know how it's done! That would totes work for a sink in my cabin and further simplify my plumbing.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 11:51

Thanks for the great tip Julie! A sprayer would be ideal. Time to get my google on :p I will definitely report back if it's a go.
-Frank

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 14:23

You're welcome, Frank! I was a bit curious and did a quick Google. Saw one guy said that you buy a sprayer kit with hose. Found this one on the HD website:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Sidespray-and-Hose-for-Kitchen-Faucet-Bl ack-M953670-0170A/205512767

Then you just cut it to the length you want and attach it to the shower unit and secure it with a pipe clamp. (I'm guessing the hoses fit in telescopically.) I seem to recall someone else who actually redid the fitting using the sprayer hose but that seems to be an awful lot of work for the same result.

I like the water setup you have under the sink!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.