Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / The basis for my icebox
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 30 Mar 2016 00:50

I needed a new cooler anyway for my move (3 days on the road across the West and Southwest!) so I decided I might as well buy the cooler that would become the basis for my icebox at the cabin.

Cabela's was having a cooler sale and I decided on this one. I'm linking to it on Amazon because of the better description and all of the reviews, in case anyone else is interested in learning more about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Quart-Xtreme%C2%AE-Marine-Cooler/dp/B0013KG2GC/ref=pd_s im_sbs_201_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31C%2Bj7PZP6L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRI D=065VE9G7R4BEG3VV2QVC

I like Marine coolers because of their antimicrobial, anti-fungal, and other properties. This one really fits the bill. Cabela's had it for $63 but it's on back order. I should get it in about 2 weeks.

The cooler has a hinged lid and measured close. I'll have a decorative lidded box on a stand built (hopefully out of pallets) for it and put a layer of foam board insulation between the box and the cooler.

razmichael
# Posted: 30 Mar 2016 10:27

I use a similar size and spec'd Igloo cooler. Not even close to how well my friends Yeti cooler works but I can buy a lot of ice for the cost difference! One thing I found that really helps was to split it into two sides using a piece of insulating foam sheet and add a make-shift foam cover for one side so, when you open up the cooler, the covered side stays cooler for the things that are needed less often. Having two kids who cannot figure out that the cooler needs to be kept cold does not help! I use a smaller cooler built into a small insulated box on the deck for drinks, ice, snacks etc to keep the kids satisfied without them using the big one.

Probably not something that would fit into your plans but I did build a custom under counter sliding drawer for the cooler. The space is insulated one all sides/top/bottom and (although not shown on the photos, I also glued on additional insulation to the sides of the cooler.
Cooler Drawer Open
Cooler Drawer Open
Cooler Drawer Closed
Cooler Drawer Closed

groingo
# Posted: 30 Mar 2016 11:16

I had an Igloo marine cooler and the best I could get out of it was three days with crushed ice but when I got block ice it added two days.

Nate R
# Posted: 30 Mar 2016 13:29

razmichael, thanks for those pics! I've envisioned doing something similar, great to see your example!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 30 Mar 2016 14:44

razmichael
That's mega-cool!!!! No pun intended. What a great idea!!!!! I miay do something like this if I can. What size cooler do you have there? (I know you wrote it's a similar size to the one I ordered but I wondered if it's bigger or smaller?)

Do you have a special accommodation for the drain plug or do you have to pick it up and move it when you need to drain it?

Thanks for posting the pics and info!

razmichael
# Posted: 30 Mar 2016 16:22

Realized I had not read your link properly - mine is 165 qrts so much bigger - it would certainly make it much easier to build into a cabinet. Other than size the spec's are similar - 6-7 days. As per groingo mentioned (and as per specs for most things), these are under perfect conditions with the moon aligned with Jupiter. I use two plastic boxes that fit ice blocks. As I'm a part timer, I will often arrive with frozen stuff in a soft thermal case with those ice packs things and I pick up blocks in the local store before I get to the lake - I just put the thermal case and all into the one side of the cooler with the internal lid and this will help keep these items cooler much longer. Wish I had easy access to dry ice on the route up. As you are full time things will be different.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 30 Mar 2016 17:03

Still, that is a GREAT setup and now my wheels are turning (UH-OH, hahaha!) for how I could tweak it to my use. See, I already included my builder installing 2 feet deep, about 34-inch tall wood open work spaces along the outer walls of my kitchen. I don't want a bunch of cupboards. I was going to use these as "hidey holes" for my portable washer, shelves and such and fashion doors over some of the spaces, where appropriate. Another is going to serve as dining space, with swivel bar stools mostly fitting beneath.

Putting the "ice box" in one of the spaces and having it on a slide-out shelf as you did would be AWESOME! Since mine is smaller, I could raise it up higher, perhaps have it tilt just slightly toward the drain and have a small permanent hose in that drain that would empty ice melt and condensation into a plastic container below the ice box for easy emptying.

Again, thank you so much for posting your pics! Such a great idea!

hamish
# Posted: 30 Mar 2016 20:16

Razmichael,

That's a great design, any way to get a picture of that I can save to show the gang at the camp?

razmichael
# Posted: 30 Mar 2016 22:22

Sorry Julie, i did not answer your question about the drain plug. If needed, I extend the drawer and put a pan under the the end of the cooler and tip it. So far not needed as I have just dried it out with paper towels when it gets wet. I think I would add a drain line if I was using it full time??

Hamish - following links go to the google+ photos off the drawer and cooler plus a diagram. There was actually a lot of planning going into it to make sure it would fit and pull out far enough to open. I used heavy duty slides to handle the weight.
Photo1
Photo2
Photo3
Photo4

All the build photos are at Build

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.