Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / My cabin "fridge" arrived!
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 7 Apr 2016 19:20

And look who was the first one to put something in it, lol.

I really like it. I was a bit concerned that it not be big enough but I think it will do just fine. I love that it came with a bin and little shelf, that the melting ice channel and drain plug is on the side, that it closes TIGHT and has good metal hinges, and that it has odor, mold/fungus, and bacteria resistance.

With the way it's molded, I think there is enough of a natural groove about midway up for me to put a rack so smaller items are elevated and don't get lost. But there's the bin, too, of course. That will be great for eggs, actually!

This is going to serve me very nicely!
20160407_1716301.jp.jpg
20160407_1716301.jp.jpg
20160407_173031.jpg
20160407_173031.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 7 Apr 2016 20:35

I've done the 'ice in cooler' thing for years now and came up with a system that works for me. Basically I got a square plastic bucket with lid (kitty litter container) that fits nicely in the cooler. Then I put the ice in that bucket. It keeps the water out of the cooler, and makes the ice last longer. I put sealed plastic food packages inside the bucket where they are right on the ice (meats, cheese etc.). And I make good use of zip lock bags.

Nice cooler!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 7 Apr 2016 21:06

Thanks, bldginsp!

Oh, that's a good idea! We're going to be on the road for 3 days when I move, going through some very barren and unpopulated areas for many miles. No idea what happened to my cooler in the last move so I figured I might as well buy the cooler that I intended to buy for my "fridge." We can pack lunch meat and cheese for sandwiches and lots of drinks in it for the trip. I'll def use your system!

Haha, the cooler's going in the tailgate area with the bulldog (who will be crated.) Maybe she knows somehow that it will be her traveling buddy.

groingo
# Posted: 7 Apr 2016 23:43

One thing I found works very well in the cooler is block ice not chunked, chunked just melts quicker round here.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 00:23

I second that! I fill up empty plastic ice cream containers with water and freeze them good and solid. They last considerably longer and the water is contained as it melts. For drinks etc we have a n ice maker that runs off my 1000 watt inverter and makes ice pretty quick

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 00:28

Ooooo, that plastic ice cream container as an ice block is magic. That's a perfect size. I'll need to buy a couple of those. Keep one in the cooler and another in the freezer ready to go.

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 08:20

If your reusing a container for freezing (I do the same, block ice last considerably longer). Add salt to the water. It makes for colder ice. And freeze in your deep freeze, not just in your fridge freezer. You can check with a thermometer, but normally a deep freeze is much colder, and so it makes colder ice. The colder you start with the longer it will last. Another tip that makes a big difference is cool your cooler down before loading it up. I throw some ice in the night before, to get it cooled down. Throw that ice out and pack the cooler with your food and fresh (cold) ice when I'm ready. Easily gains a day of usage over loading a warm cooler.

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 11:40 - Edited by: bldginsp

And cool everything you are going to put in the cooler ahead. If you put a bunch of warm sodas in there they will just melt the ice.

I have two old ratty sleeping bags that I put over the coolers. You'd be surprised how cool it gets between the coolers and the sleeping bags. Holds block ice for 3-4 days in hot weather.

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 11:53

Quoting: bldginsp
And cool everything you are going to put in the cooler ahead. If you put a bunch of warm sodas in there they will just melt the ice.

been telling Mrs Fishie that for years, she can't seem to get that concept through her head. I get them all packed, nice and cold. I even duct tape the seam between the lid and the cooler for the trip, load the cooler in the truck and she will walk out of the house with an arm full of warm soda's she wants to put in the cooler.

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 11:54

Now, Mrs. Fishie, we need to have a little talk about the first law of thermodynamics.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 12:44

We use 2 liter plastic pop bottles with water and salt. We reuse them from trip to trip.

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 15:44

Quoting: bldginsp
Now, Mrs. Fishie, we need to have a little talk about the first law of thermodynamics

I'll end up in the doghouse, but I'm definitely showing her this post.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 16:19

LOL! I can send her the instructions and "helpful hints" that came with my cooler that said this very thing!

This will make a fantastic icebox. I was playing around with what it will fit and where last night. That bin holds a dozen of eggs in its carton (if I take the top of the package off) perfectly in one side of it, leaving plenty of room for butter, blocks of cheese, and other small things.

I don't drink sodas -- I make a square pitcher of herbal iced tea and the pitcher fits in here beautifully, and there's lots of room for my yogurts and other stuff.

What I thought was a shelf is actually a divider, which is magic -- I can put an ice block there, probably the intent. A sloped channel leading to the drain begins in that section.

This is going to work a treat!

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 16:33

One thing I have done to cool down warm drinks is put them in a 5 gallon bucket and pour a big bag of crushed ice on it. In a few hours, when the party is over, I transfer the remaining into the coolers for long term.

Here's what you do with Mrs. Fishie (who I'm sure is a sweet wonderful person);

-Put her in a cold car on a freezing morning (all bundled up) with a timer.
-Start the car.
-Tell her to time how long it takes the inside of the car to get warm from a cold start.

-Another freezing day, put her in a previously warmed up car.
-Now, as she sits in comfort in the car, explain to her that the sodas WANT to be cold, just like she wants to be warm.

There are actually some serious holes in the logic here, but I think she'll get the point.

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 18:11

I'll let you know what she says. If I can actually type it on a public forum that is.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.