Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Water system design help
Bigred292
# Posted: 26 May 2016 20:49

Cabin I just purchased has the following system.
55 gallon barrel outside.
2 5 gallon bucket filter system
2 pumps
5 gallon bucket
Stream

How it works - walk to stream (80 ft), bend down, fill up bucket, carry bucket uphill , dump in filtration system set up.
After water is filtered put into 55 gallon barrel.
Shurflo pump has hose into 55 gallon to supply cabin.

I would like to upgrade.
I would like to install permanent setup. Dig something next to stream( cement rings, black drainage pipe) to drop pump into.
Pump water (uphill maybe ft height ) to buried water tank (200-300 gal) tank
Have generator to run pump
Have large pump specific to that.
Would like to filter water as well.
How do I construct dry well near stream?
Do I filter water before it goes in big tank?
Do I filter it after big tank before it goes in house?
I am located in NH - would like to go in winter and still have water

Any help would be appreciated

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 May 2016 21:13

A ram pump would pump water from the stream to a holding tank without a generator. I take it that the stream is below you, and you can't go upstream far enough to put in a pipe that would flow downhill to your tank. A ram pump will pump uphill at a trickle, but 24/7.

Rather than a dry well near the stream, you could instal a submersible pump in the water. In order to get the depth you need for the submersible pump, dig a hole in or next to the stream and put a piece of culvert pipe in it vertically and allow stream water to flow into it. Pump goes in the pipe.

I think you'll have trouble with any system like this in winter. If you drill a well you can avoid freezing at the well with a pitless adapter, but you still have to deal with keeping pipes unfrozen in the house. Not sure how to avoid freezing at the pump next to the stream.

Bigred292
# Posted: 26 May 2016 21:27

Maybe I'm being a bit too ambitious about winter use.
I think a big tank would last awhile.
Ram pump sounds interesting. -will have to look it up

Just
# Posted: 26 May 2016 22:26 - Edited by: Just

The water should be filtered before it goes in the 300 gal. tank . you should treat the water with chlorine and it can have" no " sediment in it or the chlorine will not work . MtnDon has the under ground system you need perhaps he will chime in .

darz5150
# Posted: 26 May 2016 22:50

You never said how high you have to move the water from the stream to your tank. So this set up might not be right for you.
This is what we used to get water from a creek up to the flat ground for a watering tank in a cow pasture. And also for irrigating a large garden.We used a gas powered water pump.For the water intake we took a 5 gallon bucket, put about 3 or 4 inches of quickcrete in the bottom for weight. Drilled a bunch of holes hallway up the bucket to let water in. Then put regular window screen wrapped around the outside holes to keep debris and sand from going in the bucket.
We attached the inlet hose from the pump to the handle of the bucket and also attached a rope to secure the bucket and retrieve the bucket when then water level got high from rain.
We were able to lift the water about 15 feet out of the creek to the pump, and then about another 10 feet higher to the discharge end of the hose. There was a total run of hose length about 100 feet.
We bought the pump for about $100 bucks with a coupon from harbor freight. They sell one now for $159.00 that pumps 37 GPM.
That type of pump does need to be primed, but that also kept things from freezing up in the winter since all the water drains out, if you disconnect the hoses. We left the pump out there for a couple years, and just covered the pump with an old cooler. It still works today after years of pumping water that was not always clean.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 26 May 2016 23:50

Im not sure where you are located, but a rain catchment system up the hill filling your large tank. This could be as simple as a tarp between four trees directing water into the tank. Then filter and gravity feed to the cabin, perhaps with a on demand pump depending on your elevation change.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.