Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Low maintenance compost toilet advice needed.
Solitude WA
# Posted: 26 Jun 2016 16:31

Hello all. I've done a fair amount of research and feel like I have a pretty firm grasp on the basic composting toilet situation. I'll give you the rundown and see what you all can come up with for recommendations to help me out.

I'm building a a small cabin on a small lot of land in NE Washington at 4000 ft elevation. It will start out 3 season but once it's fully set up may be 4 season with snowmobile or snowshoe entry. It is near some very good hiking areas so will be built with the intent of having some weekend rentals to help pay for it's existence. And now for the indecision I need clarity on. I regularly work out of town for at least a month at a time so it may go unchecked for up to 6 weeks at a time with only Humanure ignorant visitors attending and filling the containers.

In cabin vs Detached...

Indoor will be more user friendly for nights and cold days but run the risk of smell if left full in the hot summer(Maybe??). Lazy men are more likely to pee in it.

Outdoor will be less convenient but if it smells a little no one will probably worry about it too much. Guys will more likely pee on a tree.

Duration until full.....

If I'm lucky and it books up for 6 weeks before I can get there that could be as much as 4-6 people @ 12 days = 48-72 human waste days. What volume is that and how big of a container do I need to handle it? Will I be able to move it by hand?

Urine diversion....

Sound like a great solution but I've never done it and I hear it's a little awkward at first. With guests there and no one to explain the situation am I just asking for a problem by trying? Possibly having 2 seats, one for 1 and one for 2 and hope that solves the learning curve?

Thanks in advance for the help and opinions.

old243
# Posted: 27 Jun 2016 08:41

Sounds to me you would be better with a 2 holer outside. When you have little control over how your visitors act, sounds to me an inside toilet is a bad idea. old243

Steve_S
# Posted: 27 Jun 2016 09:20

I have to agree with Old243... given your 'visitors' are rthe way they are, a 2 holer outside is likeliest the simplest solution...

Urine diversion with a urinal is the easiest and let's be honest, 90% of washroom use is for the good old Pee Pee... There are ladies urinal's but ... depends on the ladies you know...

On training guests... one of the sites that offers Composting Toilet's also has signage to train people on correct usage....This site is really good if you want to build your own Loo and have all the instructions too... Humanure Toilet (Lovable Loo)

BTW: You can vent the "loo" using a small 12vdc computer box fan and a wee solar panel to power it during day hours or battery / mini-panel combo's... There are many possible solution to odour control.

Solitude WA
# Posted: 27 Jun 2016 13:10

Thanks. My wife was pushing for the outdoor too so there aren't any disasters in the cabin with any misuse. She is the one I was trying to please with the indoor version anyway.

With a 2 seat setup for urine separation do you have any ideas on a fail safe for the accidental discharge into the liquid side? I was thinking 1/4" stainless screen strainer with some sort of extension handle. That way if someone accidentally lines up on the wrong hole the solid matter can be removed and dumped in the solids side to avoid clogging the liquid piping.

I think with proper signage on use as Steve mentioned, and a little forewarning about the facilities before they reserve the place, it might work out.

I found some 22.5" tall 28 gallon containers that will fit my design plans. How fast do you experienced dry composters think they will last with the amount of use I'm expecting?

old243
# Posted: 27 Jun 2016 14:06

Our 2 holer at the hunt camp sits on top of 2- 200gallon oil tanks with the tops cut out. they are standing on end. They have been in use for about 15 years now with no problems. never seem to get much fuller. Why piddle around with something like what you are suggesting . Our version has been in use for many years, Quite a few generations , are not likely wrong old243

Solitude WA
# Posted: 27 Jun 2016 16:33

Quoting: old243
Our 2 holer at the hunt camp sits on top of 2- 200gallon oil tanks with the tops cut out. they are standing on end. They have been in use for about 15 years now with no problems. never seem to get much fuller. Why piddle around with something like what you are suggesting . Our version has been in use for many years, Quite a few generations , are not likely wrong

We have have a similar setup at our hunt camp that works great also but it's a much bigger and more secluded piece of land. The piece I'm building on is only a quarter acre that backs up to state park that gets a fair amount of hiking and snowshoe traffic. Everyone up here seems to want to catch you doing something wrong so I'm trying to keep things as "clean" as possible. I want it all to say above ground so nobody starts thinking I have an illegal outhouse or homemade septic system and goes running to County Code Enforcers office.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 8 Jul 2016 23:30

We don't spend but a couple weeks at our cabin, but we have an old sun mar composter in an attached "shed" to our cabin. You feel like you are literally climbing the throne, but I confess, it is way way way better IMO than wandering outside in the middle of the night. I toss other compostable stuff in there since we aren't there that long, plus every time someone really uses it, it gets a half a coffee can of peat moss. When we get ready to leave, we always put a shovel-full of wet leaves, the bacteria gets things working. Then when we get there next time, we empty the dirt, and start over. There is very little smell, however, the composter does need to be vented to the outside and there is a drain for excess liquid that must be piped to a gravel (or other type of filtering) pit. Ours was meant for a boat, and we do not see a need for the power vent they now offer.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.