Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / gel batteries
treetech
# Posted: 4 Jul 2016 05:54

Hi I am a new member but long time lurker. I built a small cabin on my woodlot and also have a cottage that is off grid. I have an opportunity to buy some gel batteries (12 volt I think I won't get to see them until Thursday) for a really really good price. How much would I have to spend for a charger that would do a good job of charging these batteries? I am not set up to charge them with solar yet and I don't want to store them uncharged.

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Jul 2016 10:35 - Edited by: MtnDon

Not all gel cells are suitable for off grid use. Many are not made for daily deep discharging or rapid use of the stored energy. Cells that are are designed for telephone backup use, for example, are not a good off grid choice. Those are designed to sit on float for years and not intended for daily discharge and recharge.

Gels often have a lower voltage requirement when charging. Too high a voltage will damage them; not maybe damage... will damage. Amp charge rate may also be lower or the battery can be damaged. In solar we have limited sun hours and slow / low charge rates are at odds with that. The faster we can charge, the better use we make of the limited sun hours. Too fast a charge forms gas bubbles in the thick gel electrolyte. That is irreversible.

So, a recommendation for a charger is not possible without knowing the battery specs. The mfg maximum charge rate (amps) and the maximum voltage. How high of a discharge rate should also be known to be sure they will suit your intended typw of use. Get the make and model and research the discharge and charge requirements and limits. No sense buying a charger if the batteries are not suitable for the intended use, IMO. FWIW, most chargers do not have gel settings.

DaveBell
# Posted: 4 Jul 2016 12:33

Schumacher SC-1200A/CA

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Jul 2016 14:17 - Edited by: MtnDon

That Schumacher SC-1200A/CA is not designed for use on a Gel battery, according to the Schumacher info here.. The user manual states the 1500 model can be used with Gel but not the 1200 model. The questions/answers page specifically responds to the question of gel with the 1200 model. No, is the answer. Details are important.

DaveBell
# Posted: 4 Jul 2016 15:06

My mistake. MtnDon you are correct. I forgot my Trojan 31's are AGM. Use the 1500 model for GEL.
Thanks Don!!

treetech
# Posted: 6 Jul 2016 12:28

Thanks for the information. I will be checking them out on Thursday evening. I'll get the specs and perhaps be able to get some pictures. I'll keep you posted!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.