Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Care of 12v water pumps
lawnjocky
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 14:32

I use a 12 v RV water pressure pump to boost the pressure for my on demand hot water heater. I cracked the last one when I did not get all the water out and it froze. I am looking for advice as to what I should do to prep the pump for non use over the cold months. I have heard that there are products that can be put into the system before prolonged non use that can extend the life of the pump. Any advice on this is appreciated.

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 15:41

RV antifreeze.

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 21:20 - Edited by: bldginsp

Yes- RV antifreeze- propylene glycol. It is non- toxic and inexpensive. I pour it into my toilet shower and sink before winter. DONT use any other type of antifreeze- they are all toxic and bad for septic systems. RV antifreeze is fine in septic systems.

You'll probably have to work up some kind of system which ensures that the antifreeze gets to the pump- without putting antifreeze in your whole storage tank, which would dilute it too much.

You'll find numerous products on the market called RV antifreeze, but the cheapest way to buy it is from food service suppliers- around 20 bucks a gallon for concentrate. When diluted 4 parts water to 1 part antifreeze it prevents bursting down to -50F. The water still freezes at low temps, but it just makes this slushy goo, and doesn't freeze into a solid block which is what busts the pipes.

old243
# Posted: 15 Aug 2016 08:58

In our RV we isolate the pump, it has hose disconnects on the plumbing. Then turn the pump on for a couple of seconds to clear any water.. To winterize the camper system , we purge all the lines with air. Made a pressure reducer fitting that goes on the water intake, so as not to damage plumbing lines. Used to use rv antifreeze, found the taste remained , for a while in the spring. Also use rv anti freeze in all sink traps and toilet. old243

creeky
# Posted: 15 Aug 2016 11:33

I built sharkfit or similar links into my system. I turn off power. Unplug the various devices/lines. RV antifreeze also worked well in the past. Cheap at the big boxes.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 16 Aug 2016 20:51

Thanks, I will try some out.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.