Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / thoughts on this Inverter?
rachelsdad
# Posted: 16 Aug 2016 10:17

https://store.easpower.com/collections/power-inverters/products/sp2000w-pure-sine-inv erter

Aren't there ones with/out fans??

I'm anticipating using a GBS 200 ah Lipo battery bank

Creeky...you made me a LIPO convert.

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Aug 2016 10:44 - Edited by: MtnDon

That Morningstar is the best small inverter there is, if it can cover your expected loads.

Cotek and Samlex are one of the better "off" brands and are related. Because they use fans for cooling it also helps to vacuum clean them once in a while. Sealed like that Morningstar is best
, but rarer.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 16 Aug 2016 11:06

I put the 300w up by mistake, much too small.

Did not see a morningstar w/1,500-2,000w.

Any good brands to look for??

Any take on the GBS?? Seemed like 200ah was a bit light but I had an engineer do my math as well.

20 60w leds at 9.32 watts each, assuming 10 hours per day...way overestimating.

Genset to charge for now until I figure how to get solar through 120 year old pine canopy

creeky
# Posted: 16 Aug 2016 11:38

The new Coteks look really nice. Really nice. Has me thinking of the 1.5 or 2kw myself.

My 1200 Victron is a wee bit small.

One thing that I don't like is the idle draw. I have routers/internet etc and the 1.8a idle draw is 550 watts / day.

Vs say my Victron at 1/3 that.

I also like the new autotransfer switch. that's pretty cool.

One thing. Really watch your inverter sizing. A too large inverter is just a waste of power. I started with a 3kw. 35w/hr idle. That's a lot of power you get nothing out of.

My second inverter was 10w idle. Huzzah. The victron is 8.

The 500w a day saved on the inverter loss runs a lotta lights.

You will love your lipo. You planning an electric fridge or ?

rachelsdad
# Posted: 16 Aug 2016 13:23

I have a propane fridge...really the only other draw item is the water pump...I have a 200 gal tank on the roof and am contemplating a pressurized tank as well...all run w/a small shurflo pump, which I have not installed yet. I draw from the source with a 25' line via a gen powered pump...tank on roof gives respectable head pressure...at least my wife is ok with it!! Rest of water system, (read shower, hot water heater and new kitche/bath fixtures), next weekend

I've posted a bit in the past, it is an island property so the fact that I need to run a gen a bit during the day is easily swamped sound wise by them da*n pesky jet skis.

Still a bit concerned w/the 200ah ...I'd love to see those 400ah batteries you mentioned.

Howze about ganging up 4 of these??

https://store.easpower.com/collections/calb-lifepo4-cells-1

creeky
# Posted: 16 Aug 2016 19:02

those look good. calb has a good reputation from what I've read.

4 180s. Top balance. Yer good to go.

At 80% dod you have 1800 watts. You could run a small electric fridge on that and save some money.

Even at 50%. And what, 7 to 10,000 discharges. You're good for a fridge. Would sure save on hauling propane.

creeky
# Posted: 16 Aug 2016 22:12

Oh. btw. for 1332 or some'at. electric car parts has a 12v 180 amp hour "kit." complete with charger. contactor. mini bms (nice unit); even cables. all ready to set up.

they also have tristar knock offs for half the tristar price.

but I wouldn't touch the inverters... personally. the european inverters might cost a bit more. but they deliver a lot more.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 17 Aug 2016 09:51

Odd, I cannot post w/ a cut and past word

Anyway, Thanks Mtn Don & Creeky.

Having a tough time locating a sealed inverter...really would prefer that over a fan running.

Creeky: Do you think 180 ah is enough?? The system that has been spec'd for me, (that I was trying to past sans prices), is 2x the amount of that kit you mentioned....hmmmm throw in a good sealed inverter and away I go.

I'll post this and try to get teh other option for you all to critique.

creeky
# Posted: 17 Aug 2016 11:24

For lights? yup. no worries.

You need to explain your loads better for me to understand why you'd need 400ah. At that level. With lithium. You're using a fridge. An induction hob. A dishwasher. Internet 24/7. A blender. etc.

Btw. why a sealed inverter?

rachelsdad
# Posted: 17 Aug 2016 11:57

What I meant was the PRICE for the 200 ah was 2x the kit you recommended, net of the inverter. odd most people type more coherently than they talk...I'm the opposite!!

Again, I figured I would use 20 bulbs in the cabin. It is 2 story, 3 bdrm 1 bth, kitchen and a combined lr/dr. Stairway light...my wife's propensity to have at least 2 lights in every bdrm and I can see her getting pretty close to 20 lamps. So way overestimating my lighting needs I plug in 10 watts per bulb...and I will overestimate that they will ALL be burning 10 hours per day. Heck, figure 25 60 watt LEDS pulling 10 watts each

Ain't ever gonna happen, but LED's are such low draw I figured I could overestimate without breaking the bank. ...(wow...my puns are worse than yours...)

The only other draw is the sureflo for a shower. 2 yr old propane fridge and hot water heater are in place. My daughter and I swim. I do not see us taking more than 2 showers total per weekend. Dishes...I'm a backpacker, I can wash dishes with a litre of water.

I wired the house w/12g Romex and frankly only have 3 circuits N, S and Center. Two runs on N, S walls each run goes 2 story, w/6 outlets per...that is 12. Center run has 6 as well. Sureflo will be on N circuit. 15 amp breakers.

Reason I want to investigate a sealed unit is there is no draw from fan...correct?? Trying to save all the juice I can.

As far as electronic entertainment, we have 4g Verizon service...my wife/daughter use their I poods. I use my smart phone...I bring several of those hand held power packs with me and it has been fine.....no need for TV, we get that at home. This is a swim, hike, play etc..weekend spot.

If you think that kit you mentioned would do it I'm all in...save over a grand???....send Creeky hugs and beers....

creeky
# Posted: 17 Aug 2016 12:48

Quoting: rachelsdad
(wow...my puns are worse than yours...)

i thought breaking the bank was pretty rich.

that kit looks pretty good. I'd even be tempted to upgrade to the "long life" 60 ah version.

well. I don't drink beer much anymore. tequila on the other hand. but I'll take the manly type hug.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 17 Aug 2016 13:17

nyuk nyuk....

What are you referring to "long life' 60 ah??

creeky
# Posted: 17 Aug 2016 14:00

there's an option at the bottom of the "kit" page for a new aluminum encased lithium battery that offers more cycles. the literature says 4,200 cycles at 100% dod to 80% of capacity.

not sure how the pricing works. but it would be worth inquiring about. you'd put 3 of the "long life" lithium cells in parallel to get the same ah as the kit models. Or if you wanted more ...

know nothing about them. but worth checking out.

okay. 30 years in media. including a stint as a copywriter. i'm a sucker for the word "new."

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Aug 2016 14:28

Quoting: rachelsdad
Having a tough time locating a sealed inverter...really would prefer that over a fan running.

Outback has a sealed series.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 18 Aug 2016 11:02

Thanks sir!!

Some good options...

BTW...the GBS batteries are not described as LIPO4...what is the diff??

https://store.easpower.com/collections/lithium-battery-packages

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Aug 2016 14:45

GBS uses a small amount of manganese in their chemical mix; a LiFeMnPO. It is still basically a LiFePO4 cell. One of the other manufacturers adds yttrium (Winston I think). In the end I doubt anyone can tell any performance / life differences.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.