Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / My Youtube Solar Powered Cabin
hallamore
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 20:09

For all of you who helped me get my solar system to where it is now, I really appreciated your advice. I created a video on youtube. Take a look and tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yaSYEth2SE

Thanks again,

Hallamore

bobrok
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 20:29

Hi hallamore,

The video is great. I'm a relative newcomer to this forum and I haven't read up on any threads you may have leading up to the project but I am very interested in seeing how you wired your breaker box with the generator/solar switching. I want to do exactly the same thing for my service and would appreciate any info, schematics, etc. you would share.

Thank you.

hallamore
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 20:56

Thanks and Welcome Bobrok,

The breaker box is really a transfer switch. I purchased it online somewhere. Usually transfer switches are used to transfer between the grid and generator. I will never be on the grid a the cabin so I figured on the "hot" side I wired the generator to one side and on the other where the grid line would normally come in, I cut off the female end of a 12-2 entension cord and wired it directly to the hot plate. The other end simply plugs into an inverter. The solar system came to be due to the fact that I did not want to always be running a generator and wasteing gas. Youtube is a really good source for finding solar power info. Type in "off-grid" or solar power and you will have hours of info (just like mine).

One last point. I would HIGHLY recommend if you haven't already purchased a generator to go with the Honda EU (super quite line). Very efficient, lasts long time and with the 3000 watt model I can even run a window air conditioning unit on it.

Regards,

hallamore

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 6 Dec 2010 10:06

Great solar power setup, hallamore!
Thanks for letting us know about it.

bobrok
# Posted: 6 Dec 2010 21:28

I am getting tired of dragging the power cord in thru the window everytime we run out of solar power. Temporary hookup that has been the modus operandi since day one. Getting tired of it. And I already have a breaker box installed in the wall that can be converted for the purpose. I will bone up on this as you suggested and make it a primary project.
PS: I did a LOT of research before buying my generator and I ended up with the EU2000 winning hands down over anything else on the market (my wattage needs aren't that high). I am extremely pleased with this little baby.

hallamore
# Posted: 7 Dec 2010 05:32

Bobrok,

I totally understand the issue of running out of solar. How many watts does your array put out? How big is your battery bank? I also have a Honda EU2000 (and 3000) and for 85% of the time the 2000 is what I run. Like you said it's a great generator. Sounds like you are going to need a transfer switch going to your breaker box to "switch" from solar to generator. The video I did shows the one that I have, which is a breaker box / transfer switch all in one. Good luck and most importantly have fun!

bobrok
# Posted: 8 Dec 2010 20:14

Hi hallamore,

I have no idea about the workings of my solar system. Since I didn't build it all I do is maintain it and make sure nothing blows up. I've got it on my list to get to know the system a lot better but other things have had more precedence in the last few years.

Can you tell output from the size of the panel? I would say it measures maybe 2' x 4'. I have some paperwork on it somewhere but I can't determine much from that My charge controler is just a little black plastic box on the wall that glows green when charging and turns red with an alarm when depleted. My battery bank consists of 12 4 volt gel batteries (AGM I think they're called???) that are somehow wired to produce a 12 volt output.

I had intentions of calling in a solar company to overhaul and make recommendations but haven't done it yet since this seems to be working pretty well.

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Dec 2010 23:32 - Edited by: MtnDon

bobrock, FYI, a gel cell and an AGM are not the same. AGM's are more like a regular wet cell battery in that they use the same fluid acid electrolyte, but it is held in a glass mat. A gel cell battery has an additive that actually turns the acid to a gel that can not flow. The important thing to remember is a gel cell requires more care in charging; they are more easily damaged. Most solar installers will not recommend gel batteries although some do. I'm one who does not like gel cells for things other than the UPS power supplies on our home and business computers and emergency lighting equipment.

Panels should have, but always don't have, a label on the underside stating the power specs. Not to say it could not have been removed or fallen off.

2 ft x 4 ft could be around 80 watts. If you can find the paperwork that ratuing should be stated in watts. Or look for the Vmp (maximum power voltage) and the Imp (maximum current amperage). Multiply those and that's the maximum watts.

Pylonman
# Posted: 9 Dec 2010 16:00

Hello hallamore
Many thanks for sharing your info with us. It's really interesting on how some people sit up there systems and what works good for them.

Hopefully soon I can get a video up of my rig.

bobrok
# Posted: 9 Dec 2010 17:27 - Edited by: bobrok

Quoting: MtnDon
gel cell and an AGM are not the same

I remember that now. My research on solar started and stopped about 2 years ago so I'm kind of rusty on terms.
I do remember being told and reading that the gel batteries were safe to keep indoors because of no fumes/spark and that they could be kept at cold temps as long as they were charging. The fellow who built the cabin knew more about it, plus he got some sort of a "deal" I think because the batteries came from AT&T.

At any rate they are 10+ years old and although weak on holding a charge do give us 2-3 days of power during summer months with the sun out. Winter and cloudy/rainy days are another matter. I really can't complain too much about 10 year old batteries.

At some point I want to assess the entire setup and make improvements, but there have been other priorities.

I'm sure I'll be poking in on solar conversations in the future.

Thanks, MtnDon,

no carrier
# Posted: 15 Dec 2010 13:20

So most your battery charging is done with a generator?..How do you equalize?....You need 90a to equalize I thought...And 90a to keep all those battery's happy....With a 500watt Array you are putting out about
20-23a...Am new to this so I very well could be wrong....(
Nice setup you have there sir...

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Dec 2010 15:02

To equalize you need a charger than will supply high enough voltage, 15.5 to 16 for 12 volt batteries. The current is determined by the equalization charger and is usually low, but depends on the amp capacity of the batteries. The time may be extended if the system amperage is low. Testing the batteries with a hydrometer to check that all cells are equal is how to tell if they are done.

sunpowerport
# Posted: 8 Jan 2011 07:01

This is not a video but it is an interesting article. See it here www.sunpowerport.com

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.