Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Series or parallel and why blue?
rmak
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 15:32

I finally found a solar pond aerator that I could afford. It came with two small solar panels, 17 X 26 inch size. I know there are advantages of wiring the panels either way, series or parallel, but I don't understand the benefits of each. Could someone explain it to me? The aerator is direct hook up, no batteries, dc and only pumps when the sun shines.

A final question/gripe. Why are these panels always blue? They stick out like a sore thumb! Couldn't they be painted a nice green color to blend in more?

Just
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 16:11

I would wire them according to the instructions for the pump .Ether 12 or 24 volts the pump is likly one or the other..IF it says 24 you can use smaller and longer wire.I have one also ,no batteries.

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 17:45

Yes, match the voltage to the pump. Series connection increases voltage (doubles if both panels are the same) That could burn out the pump.

Color: that is just the way it is. Some bluer than others. Some blacker.

bldginsp
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 20:47

Don't paint your panels. They won't work

rmak
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 23:28

Quoting: bldginsp
Don't paint your panels. They won't work

eh..yeah. I was asking why they couldn't be manufactured to fit better into the environment. I believe light absorption is contingent on value (a scale from light to dark) and not on a specific color. So I don't think that's the issue. I can't think of a reason they have to look so industrial. They really don't look that great if someone is trying to create and spend time in a natural setting.

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 23:47

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-solar-panels-blue

rmak
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 09:20

Thanks, MtnDon. I would have actually preferred black.

rmak
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 09:25

Oh well. It seems I'm late again coming up with a million dollar idea...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/green-roof-solar-panels-change-colors-175915555.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.