Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / No-Voltage Radio
SE Ohio
# Posted: 9 Dec 2010 21:36

Plans at http://www.midnightscience.com/

One of my future additions to the cabin is a crystal radio. These are AM-only, so somewhat limited on programming these days, but one can run these 24 hours a day without any power. A good length of wire for an antenna is key- The more wire, the more reception. Reception is even better at night in many cases.

A good ground rod or copper pipe stuck in the ground helps reception, too.

With a good crystal radio, headphones, antenna and ground one can pick up stations hundreds of miles away (here in Ohio, one can often receive Boston, NYC, Toronto, Atlanta, Nashville, etc) at night.
Signals don't usually travel so well during the day.

If you are within a few miles of a radio tower, you can sometimes drive a speaker from signal strength alone! I can do this at home here in the city and pick up several stations.

I've yet to rig the crystal radio/antenna at the cabin, as too many more basic needs on the list. Ground rod is in place and ready. A long wire antenna needs to be strung in such a way that windy weather won't bring branches crashing in to it. That will take some planning in the thick of the woods! Reception should be good since being way off the grid, there are few or no local sources of interference.

Now if the weather would only warm up and the social calendar wind down...

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Dec 2010 22:11

Wow, it has been a very long time since I had my hands on a crystal radio! Measure that in decades.

larryh
# Posted: 9 Dec 2010 23:46

I was always fascinated with the principle of Crystal Radios and owned a small cheap new one a long time ago, I can remember it being pretty touchy but fun.. Have no idea what I did with it.

For portable radios not hooked to power lines I have been very surprised at the quality of the older AM Channel Master radios made in Japan in the 60's. It takes four D batteries and mine runs and runs and runs. Probably been going for at least six months with great sound and the same batteries and it gets lots of hours every day.. I also got a GE Super Radio that was recommended for sensitive long range FM and Am. It uses 8 batteries I think and has wonderful sound and the same long lasting run time.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 12 Dec 2010 11:04

The GE Super Radio is a great one, especially the earlier models. I also have an older 60's model AM/FM/SW radio that is very good on batteries- I bought it used 7 years ago and it is still on the same batteries that were in it! I caution against leaving batteries (especially cheap ones) unchecked in equipment, as some batteries leak within a year! This is never a worry with a crystal set.

larryh
# Posted: 12 Dec 2010 13:14

If you happen to get a new commercially available model and it works well let us know what it is, It would be fun to give one a try again.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 12 Dec 2010 20:47

I've always "homebrewed" crystal radios. Most recently, my 7-year-old and I build an oatmeal box radio. For better quality, the designs that call for two tuners are typically more sensitive. I get the tuners from old AM clock-radios. There are kits available online, but I've never purchased one.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 13 Dec 2010 20:50

Crystal radio kit recommendations:

Both at Midnightscience.com

If you can solder or not afraid to try: XS-801 kit. A bit pricey, but should be a good performer.

If you don't want to solder, you can get th XS-500. You'll save money, but you won't get nearly the performance.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.