Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Cook stove
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 02:20

Since I'll be staying in the shabin for the winter, I was mulling over what to do about heat -- and cooking, to some extent. I bought a dual fuel generator but I don't want to get slammed by fuel costs. Don't want to invest heavily in a permanent stove, either, since it won't be used for a lengthy period.

Cook stoves that can be used for winter camping in tents made sense. I looked at the Four Dogs and Colorado Cylinders stoves and chose the Colorado Cylinder Spruce stove package. It comes with the stove pipe, warming shelf to increase the cooking surface and a 2-gallon hot water tank. A cheap, basic spark arrestor is included but I'm ordering the better cap model.

Reviews are good, including those from folks using it in a small cabin. I'll have it exit the wall and ask the guys building my shabin on site to cut out a hole for the stove pipe.

The stove is elevated on 4 legs. Thoughts about protecting the wood floor? Would backboard and porcelain type on top of that work?

Here's the stove:
http://www.coloradocylinderstoves.com/Spruce-Stove-Package-ASP-24142g.htm

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 08:31 - Edited by: bldginsp

I looked over the manufacturer's instructions and found nothing about protecting a wood floor beneath except "follow local codes". They did say maintain 36" clearance to combustibles which is inconvenient in a small cabin.

Cement board on the floor, covered with tile, brick or other masonry will meet basic code. It should extend 16" in front of the stove, and 8" on the sides and rear.

If you extend the flu out the wall make sure you get the proper thimble for that and follow all the clearances.

It will be interesting to hear how it works out.

You made it! Congrats!

groingo
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 12:58 - Edited by: groingo

Many of the stoves will have a heat shield that suspends just below the bottom of the stove, being that the bottom of the stove is actually the coldest part of the stove and it's on legs, heat shouldn' t be an issue, but to be sure it's very easy to simply go to your autoparts store and put a metal drip pan under the stove not only for heat deflection but it also keeps spilled ash and soot from loading and unloading contained, where it is easy to clean up and also prevents stove footprints on your carpet or floor.
Worked in the 1800's, good enough for me!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 17:33

bldginsp
The pics I saw of them in tents had them over dirt. I've only seen one pic of an installation of one in a tiny house and they chose to elevate it on a metal platform for ease of reloading/cleaning because it's small and short. I dunno, lol.

Yeah, I think the cement board and tile will work fine. It's actually going in an odd space where clearances won't be a problem. Basically, near a corner by the outswing door.

But I'm rethinking the the wall exit for the pipe, after looking at all of the diagrams at the Colorado Cylinder site regarding installation. It may make more sense to simply go straight up through the roof. They helpfully provide a bunch of schema with every part necessary and labeled.

If you have a minute to take a look, tell me what you think! I'm considering the basic cathedral ceiling setup.

Thanks for your help and good wishes!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 17:42

groingo
I think I've read something about that and the bottom being cooler. That metal drip pan is an excellent idea! Do you attach it in some way or just set it below the stove? That really helps with ash! Thanks!

The stove can also take coal and comes with a coal grate. I'd like to mull trying a bit of coal. Can you do a small bed of coal in tandem with wood?

hamish
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 21:38

Set in on a patio stone and be done with it.

hamish
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 21:47

To add to my last post as I thought I might have forgotten my login password again................

Living in a environment that -22F can be the norm in the winter, KISS it and be done. No sense over engineering every thought.

Do sheet metal stoves and tent stoves work, yes they do, what is your structure type and R value? Ya like getting up every few or every hour to stoke the fire............or just wake up cold and pipes frozen...

I can heat a tarp shack in any environment but it may take a cord of pine and yellow birch a night to do it.

Best way to learn is by failure.

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 23:18

A straight up thru the roof flu is always a better choice, it will draw better without that 90 degree bend. The Duratech flu systems they show are well made, that's what I'm using, and I'm using a cathedral setup too. The parts are expensive so study it carefully, or hire a local woodstove installer to do it. He might suggest a different brand like Metalbestos or whatever, all the major brands are well made, just make sure you're using listed approved equipment, not some hobbled together arrangement.

The stove manufacturer brags about their coal grate, then later they say not to burn coal. I'd be wary of burning coal in a sheet metal stove- it burns very hot and could ruin the stove in a hurry. Not all flus are made to handle coal as well. And it's dirty and smelly. Sorry West Virginia.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 23:46

I have one of these stoves for my wall tent. It will hold a fire for 8hrs. They are awesome. They can exit out the wall or roof. Maybe upgrade the chimney as the nesting pipe is not really designed for perm use.

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 23:56

And Julie remember that these are not EPA approved stoves, and I'm sure they will require that in Oregon. You could get busted, particularly if your neighbors are concerned about air quality or just don't like the fact that they had to buy expensive clean stoves, then along comes Julie and she put in a cheap dirty one. I know it's temporary for you, but the building dept. won't see it that way. Temporary becomes permanent.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 7 Oct 2016 04:05

There's an exemption for cook stoves, bldginsp, and with the large, flat cooking surface this would meet the cook stove criteria. This is a good, short-term backup in case of power failure for the main cabin, as well. The neighbors aren't an issue or a problem. My little wood cook stove wouldn't even be on the radar. I'll just leave it at that. The neighbors are likely concerned that my cabin build will be bringing the inspectors around. And that sux because if anyone gets busted for things, I will feel awful. I have to figure that one out.

Anyhoo, my focus is installing and using the stove safely while I'm in the shabin. Upgrading the stove pipe, having heat shields and such. I'll have a great generator, too, so I can do a bit of radiant heat, too. No pipes or drains in the shabin to worry about freezing.Very basic.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 7 Oct 2016 04:08

littlesalmon4
Yeah, they offer better stove pipe and fittings for cabin installation. Wow, you're getting a lot of hours out if your burns!

Steve_S
# Posted: 7 Oct 2016 07:04

Julie,

What will you be using in your "Cabin Proper" for cooking when it's built ?

I'm just thinking that this one is $400 and sure it heats while providing a cooktop but your thinking as Temporary till the cabin is built, right. Seems to me that $400 on a Temp item is not entirely frugal... I keep having to remind Maggie (my wonderful partner) of the old saying's "Penny Wise & Dollar Foolish" and then sometimes "Dollar Wise & Penny Foolish" which can both sneak up and nip you in the backside...

Maggie and I came across something at a local Building Supplier (non Big Box) that goes on top of Std wood stove which I am looking at for our Jotul as it would be handy as an extra backup ... I like having 3 backups for most everything... Have a peek at this :
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.cast-iron-cooking-griddle-for-wood-stove.100076212 8.html

DaveBell
# Posted: 7 Oct 2016 08:33

Nothing like firing up the wood cook stove in the summer every time you want to cook something. I'll stick with a propane stove.

Steve_S
# Posted: 7 Oct 2016 19:10

LOL Dave, indeed ! Summer Kitchen anyone ? and some folks never figured out why farmers, pioneers, Amish and others do that...

Just
# Posted: 7 Oct 2016 23:06

Looks like neb's stove ,he likes his

Gary O
# Posted: 8 Oct 2016 22:47

Quoting: hamish
KISS it and be done. No sense over engineering every thought.

yup

groingo
# Posted: 10 Oct 2016 23:29

Julie:
The pan should be a bit oversized and need not be anchored as the weight of the stove will secure it nicely but just in case a few small screws can' t hurt.

The pan also keeps heavy foot prints from the stove from imprinting on carpet and hardwood.

Only one thing....stubbing toes on the pan, just stay alert and no problem you'll only do it once when you do and will likely invent some new words when you do!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 Oct 2016 02:54

Steve_S
Sorry, I let this get away. I've been crazy-busy and not online all that much!

You're absolutely right, and I have so many expenses with this project that I do need to be thrifty. This made sense, on a number of fronts. For $379, it does a lot -- heat, hot water, cooking -- in a small unit.

Upgrading the pipes and buying all of the components for a good installation is costing me another $300 but that's worth it, too. For safety and optimal performance, but also because once I'm in the main cabin, the shabin will still be getting a lot of use as a guest house. Remember that I'm only building a home for myself so it will just have 1 bedroom.😊

But I obviously want to have family and friends visit, and I need a place to live in while I'm building. So building the "shabin" made a lot more sense than getting an RV. Solid, comfortable, multi-purpose.

This wood stove setup will serve me now and guests, too. Plus, because it can be disassembled, I could disconnect it from its pipes, move it into the main cabin, and hook it up to the pellet stove's pipe/chimney via pipe adapters in case of sustained power outage.

I'll have electric heat and the pellet stove, which is also electric dependent. I need to get a battery backup for that, actually. Still, pellet stoves aren't cook stoves. If need be, I could fire up that little stove in the shabin to cook and wash up while the battery backup on the pellet stove keeps the main cabin warm. Just use the generator for refrigeration/freezer and some lights.

Backups to backups. 😊

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 Oct 2016 02:59

groingo
LOL, no doubt! So you have the pan under the front legs? Or is it big enough to fit under all four legs and still protrude enough under the door to catch falling ash?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Oct 2016 08:47 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I would of went with one of these:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-stoves/rv-stove-suburban.htm

Then when cabin/house is done, transfer it over. It doesnt do hot water.

Use barrel stove for heating, then this for cooking.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 Oct 2016 10:03

toyota_mdt_tech
Oh, I've got other devices for cooking in the shabin, too. Two propane burners, electric hot plate, George Foreman grill, roaster oven that uses a tiny 300 watts. It will depend on how many watts I've got going on the genny.

The main cabin will have a full-size electric stove. I LOVE to cook and the oven in the RV stoves just isn't big enough so I might as well go with a big range in the main cabin. Electric rates aren't bad here! You need backups in the woods, though!

With the wood stove already going for heat and the hot water tank on its side, it will be easy and quick to cook pasta and rice on it.

Oh, hey, Toyota, I've decided on the name for my place -- Aspenwood Cabin. Oh my, were the aspens in glorious color last week!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Oct 2016 16:09

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
Oh, hey, Toyota, I've decided on the name for my place -- Aspenwood Cabin. Oh my, were the aspens in glorious color last week!

OK, you got it. Aspenwood Cabin it is. If you want to email me an address, I will UPS it to you. I will be tooled up into sign mode next weekend. My email is my exact username on this forum @yahoo.com. I check that one about once a month. I will check it shortly. I suspect UPS will lose money on that delivery.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 Oct 2016 22:16

Thanks, my friend! LOL, UPS knows me now. I've been ordering all sorts of stuff, and I'll still be living in the apartment in town for 3 more weeks. I'll email you in a bit.

Gary O, Cabi, and I were out at my land and hanging out at their cabin, too. Great times.

Here are today's aspen and other tree pics!
20161025_135003.jpg
20161025_135003.jpg
20161025_134908.jpg
20161025_134908.jpg
20161025_132137.jpg
20161025_132137.jpg

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Oct 2016 22:55

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
Great times

'twas

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Oct 2016 23:57

dear Julie. i loved your land.u did really grand in picking this piece of land out.it is beautiful.
love all the plants on your grounds.the oregon holly grape berry.the strawberrys.all the many kinds of huge and different trees all nestled in there with lovely building sites.just could not be more perfect.
gf.u are here and u are doing it.
was fun to see u.hugs cabi.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 26 Oct 2016 03:58

Always awesome spending the afternoon with you, Gary O and cabingal3! Many more good times ahead! With shelter and furniture out there, in the very near future, haha!

It's a pretty area, for sure. I lucked out when that property came available when it did and in my price range. It just feels like home already.

Thanks for the plant identification tutorial! There's so much I want to learn and plenty more out there to explore!

I LOVED seeing your cabin and everything you've done on your beautiful land! What awesome views! You guys are just genius at building and innovation, and your home is so very welcoming, comfortable, and cozy!!! A testament to craftsmanship, creativity, and thoughtfulness. You're quite a team!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.