Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Hunting and running a generator
xtolekbananx
# Posted: 2 Nov 2016 00:05 - Edited by: xtolekbananx

Hello. I'm planning on hunting this season and have an insulated 10x16 cabin except for the floor. Now, I don't know what to use for heat. I have a Mr heater big buddy but it is still unvented heater and puts a lot of moisture in the cabin. I don't want to sleep with it on. I can use my 2400 inverter generator and use electric heater but I dont know if I should use it during hunting season. My 2 stands are about 500 feet from cabin. Of course the generator would be off during day only be running at night when it gets cold to run the heater. Anybody has experience here? Thanks for your input.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 2 Nov 2016 06:45

wow wish my stands were that close. I'd be cutting lanes from the cabin to the stands and never leaving the cabin!!! How often are you at the cabin?? Have the animals become accustom to hearing the generator and the noises of camp??

FishHog
# Posted: 2 Nov 2016 07:16

for long term, get a propane furnace, and avoid both issues you mentioned above.
I'm sure a generator running all night won't be attractive to wildlife, but I suspect you won't notice much of an impact.
One year we trap shot all afternoon at my cottage, headed out for an evening hunt and one of my crew just about tripped over a deer 100' behind the cottage.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 2 Nov 2016 08:12 - Edited by: PA_Bound

There are several variables I can think of here that would affect my response. But, in short, we've run a generator all night at my hunting camp for probably the past 10 years, and I can't tell where it has had any affect on the hunting. The generator we use is one of those really quiet 1K watt Honda's, and we actually keep it under the front porch.

xtolekbananx
# Posted: 2 Nov 2016 08:43

I'll be getting a wood stove next year, one of those small cylinder stoves http://www.cylinderstoves.com/scout-stove.html but for now I have to I guess run the generator. It is one of the quiet inverters, Westinghouse WH2400i. Come 4 am when I get up to get ready it will be turned off for the whole day. I'm there every 2 weeks and run the generator quite often but never all nite.

deercula
# Posted: 2 Nov 2016 08:51

I have a genny but i rarely bring it to camp. 1800 watt is heavy, interupts my peace and quiet, and needs to be refueled. Do not want to be handling gasoline when i am hunting. I have a direct vent propane furnace, gravity, no electric required. Just cut a hole in the wall where you want it. Comes with all hardware. It's so simple to just hook up the tank, start the pilot and done.

http://www.williamscomfortprod.com/product/direct-vent-furnaces/

You can see it in my cabin build thread here:

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/1_6589_1.html

Just
# Posted: 2 Nov 2016 08:56

Turn off
your heater ,wear your hat to bed,do not leave a glass of water on the night stand or it willl freeze and break, "you will be fine,"done it for 30 years.

deercula
# Posted: 3 Nov 2016 09:12

Quoting: Just
Turn off
your heater ,wear your hat to bed,do not leave a glass of water on the night stand or it willl freeze and break, "you will be fine,"done it for 30 years.

What kind of blankets do you use? Down, electric, wool?

Just
# Posted: 3 Nov 2016 09:18

- 50 sleeping bag and 1 wool blanket .always change into dry sleeping clothes ,

hueyjazz
# Posted: 3 Nov 2016 11:52

Electric resistive heaters are not that efficient and a horrible way to generate heat. Resistive loads are also hard on a generator. I would go with propane heater but in my earlier days I did quite a bit of ice climbing where I would have to tent it in sub-freezing temperatures. Sometimes longer than expected when the weather got rough.

Staying dry and having decent equipment for the conditions was vital.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 3 Nov 2016 18:18

I have deer and turkey walk into the yard with generator running. It's a loud clunker. In my opinion, your hunting won't be effected.

old243
# Posted: 4 Nov 2016 17:41

I would install a wood stove and proper chimney. You are on holidays , so be comfortable. you can also cook on it. Deer and game usually get used to your coming and going. Have a good hunt. old243

Asher
# Posted: 4 Nov 2016 20:34

I wouldn't worry about the gen, I have had deer walk up on me while cutting fire wood with a chain saw before... The only time they might get nervous when you shut the gen off and everything is quiet then you crack a twig below your foot.

old243
# Posted: 5 Nov 2016 21:17

Last year I was sighting my rifle in. My range is right beside a pine plantation. After I had been shooting a while , I happened to notice a doe standing in the pines , not more than 200 feet away. I was hunting the same field that evening, the doe , her fawn and a few turkeys came out and fed on my clover field. As I don't shoot does it was nice to just watch them. Once they get used to you being around, They just go their own way. happy hunting old243

justincasei812
# Posted: 7 Nov 2016 09:31

I had always thought that a genny would mess with the deer but over several seasons out hunting and having my wife at the cabin we tested it out. I would be in the stand (350ft+) from the cabin and have her go out and start the generator while having deer around me. 99.5% of the time they would look up and then go about their business. the other .5% time they would either get a little nervous or spook. We are at the cabin a lot and the deer get used to the noise and movement. I had a feeder out about 70 yards from our fire pit and we would be sitting around the fire and have deer come in every night. they were cautious but never spooked. I don't think you have much to worry about but that is a good amount of gas & noise for a heater. Maybe look into something for next yr. either way be safe and good hunting.

Justin

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.