Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Making a living?
NT5224
# Posted: 8 Nov 2016 07:11

Hi folks

this might be only my second post here but I've been following the forum for a few years now.

Living off the grid in the wilderness holds many advantages, but access to employment isn't one of them...

I suppose many people living in their own cabins and camps my be retired, living off savings or interest or perhaps even living of the land...

But at present my wife and i are trying to find ways of breaking the cycle of professional careers and moving to live full time on our wilderness property.

The camp is completely built and we have no debts or mortgage but realsitically we need a way to make a small income.

What do other people here do?

Steve_S
# Posted: 8 Nov 2016 07:37

Well, that would depend on your skill set, what you can do and what your willing to learn to do. Then of course the ever inescapable budget considerations, which of course relates to the previous sentence.

I still do some work on-line as I have been involved in the IT Industry for several decades, so writing programs and systems is a semi-hobby now. Maggie teaches FT in a University but also PT via an On-Line University.

Certain hobbies can become profitable as well - while not making you rich of course. If you can build furniture (even rough / rustic but durable) there is a market for such... Given the "Rustic Krud" being imported from who knows where and sold at crazy prices to urbanites is proof of that. Make something nicer & durable and there is a market for it.

I think the real key, is to take something you enjoy doing, that does not "stress you out ! " and developing that into something bigger.

I have a neighbour who likes working with wood and playing with it... He makes wooden paddles which you could use for boating BUT he carves designs or paints (stains) designs onto them as decorative items and sells them at the local markets - he does pretty well with that and will do custom requests as well... That and interesting walking sticks, hat & coat racks (all made from branches and wood from his property), so it is all quite rustic / rural and natural. He's now collecting deer & moose antlers from the local hunter's and makes various things from that and sells / gives them away. He does it when he feels like it, does not stress or get anxious and enjoys it, which always results in a better end result.

The old adage, " if you enjoy doing something, you will excel at it " is very true.

Sorry it's not much help but maybe it will help you think on more options & possibilities. BTW: Just because you may have not done a lot of something but enjoyed it, or wanted to always try to do something new & interesting that you feel you'll like, try it !

TerraLove
# Posted: 10 Nov 2016 13:44 - Edited by: TerraLove

Selling firewood comes to mind immediately.
Or you can upgrade into small scale logging.
Severing a few acres, building a second cottage and renting it out may be an option as well.
If you have clear land, you can grow and sell organic fruit, vegetables, eggs or even poultry, rabbits etc.
Everything else I can think of requires training or years of experience and equipment, such as sewing, alterations, leatherworking, forging, knifemaking etc.
I heard of people knitting baby blankets with names on them.
Also heard of people picking berries and selling jams. But in our [ever][over]regulated society I am doubtful it is simple to start up.

I never understood how people could make a living of pottery, crafts etc. Supplementing income, perhaps, but not making it. Dunno...

hattie
# Posted: 11 Nov 2016 00:52

We built a 3 unit motel on our cabin property and have run it for about 8 years now. We run it ourselves so don't have to pay employees. It doesn't make much money but it helps to supplement what we have in our savings. As an added bonus, there are lots of write-offs in doing this.

We have met lots of people over the years and made lots of friends. The only down side is that it is a 24/7 job. In the summer months we actually close down three days a month just to give us a chance to catch-up on chores we can't get done with all the guests here.

groingo
# Posted: 11 Nov 2016 12:18

All depends on what you are capable of doing and who needs what.
Check the neighbors and see what they may need or you can always make some change on the Internet, personally that is where I make a decent living with stocks....but in the end be sure it is something you will enjoy!

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 11 Nov 2016 17:25

Quoting: groingo
that is where I make a decent living with stocks...

Any useful strategy you don't mind sharing, groingo?
Thanks.

groingo
# Posted: 11 Nov 2016 22:53

Quoting: CabinBuilder
Any useful strategy you don't mind sharing, groingo?
Thanks.

Just when you thought you've done all your homework dig deeper.
IPO's are the best if you have the connections.

DaveBell
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 02:16 - Edited by: DaveBell

Quoting: CabinBuilder
Any useful strategy you don't mind sharing,

Basement Window Trades
IPO's on the second confirmed uptrend
Price Swingers
Earnings Swings
Constant earners
Oil Futures are easy to trade
Gold Futures at certain times

I use Think or Swim platform.

Malamute
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 11:41

Its attractive to want to be disconnected when out and away from towns and all, but in todays world, being able to make a living from home online is a real option. Its not as romantic an idea as totally unplugging from the modern world, but may be a more attractive option than having to go work a seasonal job in town or somewhere away from home during the days.

There may be seasonal work in service jobs in your area, or perhaps construction or yard care etc, and you could have the winter off, unless you plowed snow as part of your living. Ive heard of several retired law enforcement guys that went into yard mowing after retiring. Seasonal, makes money, get to be outside, something to do and stay fit and busy.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 14:13

I knew a old couple that would sell homemade baked goods out of their station wagon down at the boats docks in the summer.

She did the baking.He did the selling.

She baked pie (sold out first,so you better get there early and be close to first in line),butter tarts,date squares and bread. They always sold out of everything.

Malamute
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 19:33

Excellent!

Once when travelling on the train through Albuquerque, there was a Mexican lady selling home made burritos and tamales. The train conductor said they were good, so I bought some (had to be better than the train food!). They were outstanding, I wish Id bought more for later.

timcook
# Posted: 15 Nov 2016 19:20

I my self am trying to figure out how to live full time off the land i do so every weekend, i do have a plan i just hope it works, im 31 now gonna keep working and banking money and more than half way out of debt witch i think is most importent. I plan on going full time at age 45, im very handy so i hope to pick up side work when needed.. God bless all love this site

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.