Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Renogy charge controler help
keljohnso
# Posted: 27 Nov 2016 16:17

I have a Renogy PWM charge controller. I put a voltmeter on the leads coming from the panels so I could monitor the voltage from the panels.

However, with the batteries connected to the controller the voltage reads the battery voltage, around 12 volts.

When I dis-connect the batteries, the voltmeter jumps to around 22-23 volts.

Is this normal??
batteries_connected_.jpg
batteries_connected_.jpg

groingo
# Posted: 27 Nov 2016 17:53 - Edited by: groingo

Yep.
Got that one with my original 400 watt system but over time I got the Renogy PWM controller with LCD screen which Renogy doesn't sell any more but you can still get through Windynation.
This controller is unique because it is fully programable and has higher input voltage limits than current ones which means more charge juice for the batteries!
It is available here: https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-Controller-Digital-Adjustable-Settings/dp/B00JMLPP12 ?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C2316350214

The little one will get you by and makes a good backup but if you want some serious bang even for a small system this is the one!

keljohnso
# Posted: 28 Nov 2016 18:02

It doesn't make sense to me why its reading battery voltage and not panel voltage. Anyhow, I was looking at this one. It give the amp reading from the panel, along with battery voltage, USB plugs and 12 pigtail plugs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0191QN7OO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35 5GIA4W59KIS&coliid=I3AJN8EVKUGK0R

groingo
# Posted: 30 Nov 2016 11:14 - Edited by: groingo

If you want panel reading just disconnect the positve power from the battery to the CC then test from the CC input plus and minus...that will give you panel output.
One tip, after hooking back up recheck your setting unless you stayed with defaults otherwise the disconnection of the battery will cause the CC to reset.

Regarding your pick for CC, I've used most brands and that is one I have no experience with but it does have some nice features like the dual USB output ports....would be nice if you could get a copy of the manual so you could see the charge specs before buying....get back and update if you get it.

keljohnso
# Posted: 3 Dec 2016 16:26

I called Renogy and apparently what I'm seeing with the battery disconnected is the open voltage of the panels. So it seems the controller is working good.

SO I got a watt/power analyzer, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVTST80/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&ps c=1
which I will install between the charge controller and the battery. This will tell me what I wanted to know.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 5 Dec 2016 08:36

Are you sure that this unit will show panel output and not cc input to the batteries? Seems to me that hooking a guage between cc and batteries will only show output from cc to battery input or straight battery power level. I use the same controller on my bank to keep it charged from a couple small panels when I am not there. I also need something to show clear panel output to cc only.

groingo
# Posted: 5 Dec 2016 11:24

Again, download the manual before you buy it and Renogy has manuals listed seperately.
Also, buy it from the Renogy site on Amazon....returning is much simpler and faster.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.