Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Steam engine to run gen and other
smitty
# Posted: 15 Dec 2010 21:14

Hi guys and girls,
I'm new here..
Wondering if anybody here is using a steam engine, to run a generator, heat, or bath water, grinding grain or whatever.. Thinking about getting a small steam engine and boiler set up, to do all of those things.. Anybody work with steam?

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Dec 2010 10:13

Steam engines hold mechanical interest for me. They are cool things to see run. However the steam boilers can be dangerous. Personally I would not want the bother of watching over the fire and boiler. But that's me. Is there a particular small setup you could direct those of us who might like to look and see?

Robert
# Posted: 20 Jan 2011 16:48

Look on youtube. A guy has a wood fired steam turbine running a gen head. Very inventive series of processes.
Although you can run a power generator directly off a wood gas generator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjw29zYeEoE
Robert
thetinybungalow

paulz
# Posted: 15 Oct 2018 09:42

This guy powers and heats his place by burning wood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTjikSKJUH0

Cowracer
# Posted: 15 Oct 2018 11:01 - Edited by: Cowracer

As with anytime you convert energy from one form to another, you will loose efficiency, as no energy transfer is 100% total or efficient. Burning wood is generally only around 15% efficient, however than can be raised to nearly 50% with proper burner design. Expect only around 75% heat transfer to the water, and then expect only about 80% efficiency from steam to engine. Add in about 90% efficiency of the generator and add up all the losses and pretty soon you see where you are losing a LOT of your original energy. Of course, if you have an overabundance of wood and the time to processes it, then it could be done. Also figure in feedwater conditioning, condensate pumping, scale buildup and a host of other boiler related and maintenance issues, and it could be a lot more trouble than you are thinking now. A wood gas generator feeding a commercial generator would seem to be a better choice.

But with that said, a steam engine is a delight to watch operating. Here is a video I took of an old 1913 Case 85HP tractor running on a fan dyno, literally "Balls-out". Listen to that sound! (The shutter speed on my camera made it seem like the fan was barely spinning. But in reality, it was really honking along at a couple thousand RPM. The wind coming off of it was impressive.)

URL

paulz
# Posted: 15 Oct 2018 12:15

Several things, as you mention Cowracer, allure me to this.

An abundance of wood.

I could listen to a steam engine all day (so I think). Gas engines not so much.

I have almost no solar capability.

On the down side, I don't need more work to do..

ICC
# Posted: 15 Oct 2018 12:42

I like steam trains. Have one that runs near me for the tourists. However, even with the abundance of firewood that seems more like a full time job. Solar just sits there and produces. With the money you'd have to spend to get a reliable and safe steam system I think you could buy a lot of solar and have time to do other stuff.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.