Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / First day of winter and still no generator needed!
groingo
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 16:14 - Edited by: groingo

Ok, I am now where last year at this time I would have used my generator 7 times by now but at this point my voltage has never dropped below 12.60 while this season has been much colder and the generator has yet to be used.

The combination of adding two more panels (going from 400 to 600 watt) and my old PWM controller working superbly as well as reducing power use again from 45 watts a day to 18 by moving from 110 volt LED's to USB powered LED's and in fact moving all electricals to USB powered.

How goes your winter people?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 22:02

groingo

No solar yet. I'm still trying to learn.

Glad yours is hummin. Stay warm

darz5150
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 23:21 - Edited by: darz5150

I got this ceiling fan from amazon a month ago. Not all great reviews but I wanted something cheap to experiment with.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31thhrTcirL._SY355_.jpg
Moves a lot of air. Very small drain on batteries.

groingo
# Posted: 22 Dec 2016 11:41

Have been using an O2Cool 5 inch USB powered fan for ceiling air circulation and cat potty box fan.
Draws 0.250 amp and after leaving it running for one year straight as a cat box vent never had a problem....can be gotten at Walmart or Amazon from $5.00 to $15.00.

Since using it, the low draw actually has improved battery charge levels overnight.
fan
fan

NorthRick
# Posted: 22 Dec 2016 16:13

Quoting: groingo
Ok, I am now where last year at this time I would have used my generator 7 times by now but at this point my voltage has never dropped below 12.60 while this season has been much colder and the generator has yet to be used.The combination of adding two more panels (going from 400 to 600 watt) and my old PWM controller working superbly as well as reducing power use again from 45 watts a day to 18 by moving from 110 volt LED's to USB powered LED's and in fact moving all electricals to USB powered.How goes your winter people?

61 degrees north latitude. We could switch to candles and we'd still need to run the generator. High noon and the sun doesn't even clear the trees. At least we turned the corner yesterday. Days are only getting longer from here.

creeky
# Posted: 24 Dec 2016 00:12

Went through the rough season without using the genny. Huzzah.

Lithium battery for off grid solar rules. The ability to discharge to 80%. Went 5 days without a full charge. Sun came out. Ran the dishwasher. Finished recharging the next day.

What a revelation.

I did reduce my electrical use. Daily from 4kw to 2.5. To 1.5 on those long dark days.

Really helped that I got my second 1kw panel set up on the tractor shed. Its further back off the tree line. So when 1 panel set is in shade the other is still clear. Tho. Nothing helps on the really cloudy days. Worst day. Made 80 watts off of 2kws of panels.

We noticed the longer day today. Sweet holidays and joy to all.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.