Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Updated compact fridge to use less juice
groingo
# Posted: 30 Jan 2017 13:56 - Edited by: groingo

After looking at energy saving refrigerator freezers I decided to take one final look at my existing 2.7 CF Haier compact to see if I could get it to use less power.
1. On sides and top wrapped with foil reflective insulation and 1 inch hd foam insulation sheeting.
2. On back between the radiator and body also added reflectve foil mylar to move heat away from fridge back and also lined between body and compressor motor to also reflect heat.
3. Refrigerator door got reflective insulation on the inside door to keep cold in.
5. Adjustable refrigerator cooling area to reduce and not cool when not needed.....styrofoam sheeting slides in and out as needed.

6. Got a larger more efficient power inverter.

7. In the end the power does spike at 149 watts but quickly drops to 99 while running only one minute total then turns back on every 15 to 20 minutes once fridge is cooled while in the cabin at 72 degrees.

My two 235 AH batteries have still not dropped below 12.6 when fridge has been in use.....looks like problem solved and when I don' t need a fridge I just turn it off.

spoofer
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 15:29

how many watts is your panel?

groingo
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 23:16 - Edited by: groingo

600 watt.

Jebediah
# Posted: 1 Feb 2017 06:52

I recently watched a video where a gentleman did what you have done and he worked it out that he saved 10 cents a day on his power bill.

spoofer
# Posted: 1 Feb 2017 07:54

I'm not trying to save $. We just want the conveniance of "green" power at our off grid cabins. I have just a 100 watt panel hooked to 2 golf cart batteries. Gives me enough power to use a 19 inch tv, 4 led lights and a small stereo. If there;s a problem I have a 2000 watt Honda genny.

Jebediah
# Posted: 1 Feb 2017 08:04

I realize you are not trying to save money....it was to show that you would save on power.

JasonB
# Posted: 1 Feb 2017 09:49

I was able to score a used minibar fridge from a local hotel when they renovated some years ago. Instead of the usual freon system, this one uses an ammonia based system. It's almost completely silent and uses well under 80W of power.

Another option for very low power refrigeration, perhaps.

Nice work on improving yours.

J

spoofer
# Posted: 1 Feb 2017 11:26 - Edited by: spoofer

My Cabin is in Northern NY (Tug Hill) area. You rarely need a fridge because there's snow on the ground 6 months of the year. lol 211 inches so far this year in Redfield!!
camp snow
camp snow

groingo
# Posted: 1 Feb 2017 13:07 - Edited by: groingo

There were four key things that really helped keep the cold in, of course added insulation on the outside surfaces, heat reflective surfaces to deflect heat from the compressor motor, an exterior radiator insulated between it and the fridge body but with air space and the ability to compartmentalize the interior of the fridge to reduce the area needed to cool.
It's really very simple and has nil battery impact now and works even better the more cool stuff in the fridge.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.