Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Baby steps for electric car
groingo
# Posted: 12 Mar 2017 15:22

First, because of the huge dollar savings to hook to the grid vs build solar charger ($100 vs $10,000), I will bite the bullet for now regarding the power company.
Once I have grid power I will rent a Leaf for a week and see how it goes and gather a lot of real world energy information which will cost a couple hundred dollars.
The trial power and car should cost about $300.00 to see how it goes which beats the alternative mega bucks!
If anyone here on the forums has done this I am all ears!

Atlincabin
# Posted: 12 Mar 2017 17:46

Looking forward to your report. Would be interesting to know real-world usage. I'm looking at a grid-tie system for our new house and suspect it would make a difference in how to size it if we had an electric car.

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Mar 2017 18:10

Same here, looking forward to seeing what you experience. With the new Leaf coming out in September and all the other new Electric & Hybrids, times are moving fast... Smart cars to Mini's and more all just coming to market, competition is good !

groingo
# Posted: 12 Mar 2017 21:34

The car I am planning for will be a lease return Leaf with low miles and full documentation and extended warranty 2015 or 16 which can be gotten down right cheap because they are 80 to 100 mile per charge cars which is perfect for me as trips to town are just 14 miles round trip and for longer drives I use the Metro and for just flat fun the Crown Vic P-71.

groingo
# Posted: 14 Mar 2017 01:40 - Edited by: groingo

Well a Leaf rental is out but I can get and extended road test from the dealer for 24 hours....I can make that work.
Solar recharge station is a big doubt because they are either grid tied or have their own storage batteries which transfer juice to the car,
so either grid tied or just grid power for the car and solar for the house which looks like where it is heading plus it more than cuts my fuel bill in half.

Had the car for a day but with regards to a certified used Leaf I would say avoid as the batteries can be damaged in many ways by a careless owner and the repairs are nearly all dealer only and extremely pricey so if you go for an electric go for new that way there will be a lot less potential pricey surprises.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.