Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Off grid Electric car charging
groingo
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 21:16 - Edited by: groingo

Well, the short version of electric car off grid has one big issue, to charge the car you either have to have a large battery bank or grid power.

If you already have a battery bank that can be dedicated to car charging and is
preferably larger than car battery itself then you're off to a better start.

If you don' t already have a large dedicated battery bank the grid power can be an affordable option but likely ethically challenging in my case because I chose offgrid for some very good reasons.

Leasing a new Electric car has the most advantages because nobody else has messed up the battery which if you don't pay attention is easy to do plus you are not tied to old technology which is good provided the new tech is any better.

Buying a used electric has a boatload of very expensive risk tied to it mainly tied to the driver and their driving and charging habits and climate where hot climates are not any batteries friend, with electric nearly all work has to be done by the dealer which will be horrendously expensive unless you have a very good warranty.

Ultimately it comes down to what works for you and doing a lot of homework and asking questions.

So what am I going to do, sometimes doing a reality check with yourself and moving in a completely different direction are the better way to go.

creeky
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 22:08

If you charge during the day your solar electrons go directly into the car battery. You don't have to have 2 battery packs.

And electric motors have very few moving parts. Greatly reducing expensive repairs.

The rest of it is just a car. No different from any other modern car.

groingo
# Posted: 16 Mar 2017 12:57 - Edited by: groingo

Creeky:
The reason to use two individual systems is to keep from having one short the other on power, really sucks now the car is fully charged but you haven't enough juice to run the freezer or tv or worse yet significantly speed up deterioration of the battery bank....two individual banks for me and now I understand why the Volt is the prefered car for off gridders, you always have option B.

creeky
# Posted: 16 Mar 2017 15:31

Put in a few more panels to cover the extra demand. .

And the LG Chem cells in the Volt .... real nice.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.