Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Bright Lantern
cspot
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 20:31

I am looking for a bright lantern for our camp. We have a couple solar and a couple of battery powered ones that light the place up, but are not bright enough to read or to see if working on small things like tying hooks on fishing line. This would be indoors, so I would probably be looking for battery operated. The brighter the better as I don't need long battery life as I have other lanterns for just ordinary lighting.

spoofer
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 20:57

I like to wear a small bright head lamp for small work.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 28 Mar 2017 04:27

Black Diamond makes a great line of small lanterns,

+1 on the headlamps as well

Steve961
# Posted: 28 Mar 2017 21:17 - Edited by: Steve961

I like the Streamlight Siege series of lanterns. I have the AA version mainly because I use rechargeable Eneloops at the cabin. If I didn't care about rechargeable batteries I would get the D battery version for the greater Lumens and run time. They are highly rated on Amazon.

Streamlight Siege Lantern

spoofer
# Posted: 28 Mar 2017 22:04

I also have a rechargeable Coleman brand from walle-world that has been Great!

Nate R
# Posted: 28 Mar 2017 22:18

I bought some rechargeable D batteries this past year. Great for camp radio and lanterns!

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Mar 2017 22:47

I have a Barebones rechargeable lithium lantern with a dimmer switch. Turned up it is fairly bright. I also use propane lanterns indoors and they have never set off the CO alarm, even after hours closed in in the winter.

One thing that several people have spoken of doing is bringing a deep cell battery with them, all charged, and just use it for lights. The cost of lithium car batteries is low enough now that they are an option for this, and you don't have to worry about running them too low.

cspot
# Posted: 29 Mar 2017 19:23

bldginsp, now you gave me something to think about. I also have a generator that I could give a charge to the car battery if it ran low on an occasional long week at camp. Most of our time spent at camp is just a long weekend.

Anyone have a setup like this that they could recommend?

darz5150
# Posted: 29 Mar 2017 22:54 - Edited by: darz5150

Could you use a jump box with 12 volt ports and USB ports that you could recharge from a generator or your vehicle? You could power cell phones, laptops, 12 volt fans, USB rechargeable lights etc. All available from amazon.
51BczLzQ1L._AC_US32.jpg
51BczLzQ1L._AC_US32.jpg
51lriSZPPhL._AC_US32.jpg
51lriSZPPhL._AC_US32.jpg
31pENNNfXL._AC_US32.jpg
31pENNNfXL._AC_US32.jpg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 05:31

Have you considered making your own lights with 12v LED bulbs? I also have propane lights inside my cottage which are great in the winter because the heat they throw off is welcome. In the summer it's not as nice. I have made a number of lights using the push pin receptacles that cost about $4 in Canada and then 12v LED bulbs. They are very bright and use minimal power. They are hooked up with switches to my 12 v battery that also runs my pump. I use these same lights in my sauna that run off a 7ah lithium battery with a 40 watt solar panel connected. I can have them on for hours at a time at night without draining the battery. Just another option.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 05:43

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/img/p.gif

This is what I called my rustic track lighting. This is over my couch so we can read at night.

bob peterson
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 08:16

Ultimate Survival Technology 60 day lantern. There is nothing brighter that runs on batteries. I have gas lights and lanterns, which are great until it gets warm, and they aren't as safe or convenient as the battery lanterns. 2 of these light up my whole place. The little Ray O Vac Sportsmen lanterns are good too, and cheap, but they aren't nearly as bright as the UST lanterns.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.