Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Electric car solar charge station questions
groingo
# Posted: 1 Apr 2017 21:09 - Edited by: groingo

Here's the plan, I need to charge the car at 15 amps 110 volts.
I do not want to have a car charging station that uses solar charged batteries to charge the car.
I want to charge directly from the panels via charge controller (thanks steve) then into a 24 volt 1500 watt pure sine wave power inverter and into the car....what am I overlooking?

Just
# Posted: 1 Apr 2017 21:57

what is the voltage output of the of the 110 charger??could you not use DC and a charge controller direct into the car??

Steve_S
# Posted: 2 Apr 2017 07:10

I don't think it would work as you describe. Solar Panels to Charge Controller then to Inverter. I highly doubt you'll have any success without a Controller from the panels. Also not sure what would happen to the inverter in under volt situations, hopefully just shut off.

groingo
# Posted: 2 Apr 2017 09:48

Steve

You got it, was laying up last night going over just that issue....definitely need the charge controller to control the juice....thanks for verifying my suspicions.

Steve_S
# Posted: 2 Apr 2017 10:02 - Edited by: Steve_S

I have to say that I am not so sure about running without the solar batteries for charging the car. I understand that you want to eliminate them as an expense but the primary flaw in renewable energy is consistency. The sun & wind while ample in supply are inconsistent and beyond our control, so the batteries are the buffer to provide the consistent supply. I'm just not sure how effective or efficient trying to charge your car with a fluctuating & random power supply will give you what you hope for.

Will the electronics in the car compensate for some of that ? What kind of effect would that have on the charge cycle process of the batteries in the car as well ? Those are also things to question but I'm not sure this is the right forum for that knowledge, the EV Forums with the guys playing with this stuff maybe be better... NOT to say we aren't interested, I certainly am to see how this pans out...

I did some google searches and found this topic which seems to hit this very project you have in mind. Directly charging Leaf with Solar Panels... http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23203

and this one:
https://onestepoffthegrid.com.au/lessons-in-automatically-solar-charging-an-electric- car/

groingo
# Posted: 2 Apr 2017 10:29

Steve
I agree the batteries would act as a buffer but regardless there should be a way to maintain a smooth flow otherwise.
Have been to a lot of EV and Leaf forums and they are more interested in other things.
Ultimately this won' t happen overnight but it seems to be doable as more pieces of the puzzle do keep coming together.

creeky
# Posted: 2 Apr 2017 13:16

Two ways to do it.

the cheap way. ac. I've described this before. Grid tie. Micro inverters. Lots of people using this technique. Also called net metering. Available as "No grid export" if necessary.

the fastest charge rate but most expensive way
use a chademo set up.

this gets real expensive. the cord and station controller are 2k. and, depending on the rate of charge, add 3k for the power station. So something like 5k before you buy solar panels/bos etc.

Similar to Steve's second link (and as a lot of folks have already built and been using for years):

I'm building a "no grid export" system buffered with batteries. This system will charge both the car and run an ashp to cool and heat the art studio. All in cost around $8k. Should save around 3k in gas costs annually. So pretty quick payback.

Warning: don't diy this without serious electrical skills and knowledge. Especially chademo. 440dc will do very bad things to you. that's why I'm staying ac/240 for now.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.