Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / States with Off-Grid Friendly Water Rights
CraigK
# Posted: 23 Apr 2017 22:27

I was considering someday purchasing land in Arizona but discovered that their water rights regulations are not friendly for off-grid living. The state owns all the water.
I currently live in Washington state and wish to leave it someday and am doing my due diligence research. Anyone know which states in the Western U.S have off-grid friendly water rights?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Apr 2017 22:30

I live in Washington and can pump up to 5000 gallons per day max. (basically way more than I will ever need, but not enough to start a new orchard) but I know that court ruling really restricted new wells on property. One reason the first thing I did when I bought my first 20 acre lot was to have a well drilled. I didnt even touch it till 10 yrs later, but knew I had better get it done ASAP, glad I did. The lawmakers are working to rectify that right now.

CraigK
# Posted: 23 Apr 2017 22:53

I knew there was a court ruling....Whatcom vs. Hirst that gives the state control over all the water.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Apr 2017 09:00

State legislature is working on it now, may have it resolved, not sure. After I heard that, I was soooooooooo glad I had my well installed back in 06

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.