Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Rickant generators
Rickant
# Posted: 13 May 2017 18:47

4. How would a generator work if we wanted it as a backup option to feed the cabin? Is that a costly backup? Presumably I would just use I to charge the batteries as needed or is it something that would also be able to connect to the cabin electrical system?

Atlincabin
# Posted: 13 May 2017 20:07

Generator can easily be wired in to charge batteries. If you go with an inverter, they typically have an input side for non-solar power, such as a generator or grid power. Simple wiring, almost plug and play.

Personally, I've lived with both 12V power systems (i.e., lights etc. are all 12V - this was some 30+ years ago) and the newer systems with high-quality inverters to run everything on 110V. I much prefer the 110V since you don't have to purchase a bunch of (typically expensive) 12V things, you can just use "normal" appliances, power tools, light bulbs etc. Yes, you lose a slight bit of power, but solar panels are very cheap these days so just add an extra panel for $200 or so, and it will more than cover the power losses of the inverter system.

Again, my two cents.

rockies
# Posted: 13 May 2017 20:23

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-portable-generator/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.