Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Lithium-Ion Batteries for Off-Grid
Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 26 Jun 2017 21:58

We have refrigeration! Thanks to Creeky and his Lithium expertise we are living the high life. Check out our system in our video if your thinking of a new battery bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCudeUYf52Q

FishHog
# Posted: 27 Jun 2017 09:57

fantastic

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 27 Jun 2017 10:41

Realistically, I'm about 2 years away from doing my solar install. Between Ontario lakeside and Creeky I think that I'll have a perfect plan as to how to proceed. Thanks to you both.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 27 Jun 2017 22:28

Creeky is the man thats for sure. Now to get my city house off grid!

Kamn
# Posted: 28 Jun 2017 07:36

Thanks for the video
Like KelVarnsen, I am also about 2 years away but am looking to start collecting components and will be getting in touch with Creeky about a system
But good to see others using lithium ion

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 29 Jun 2017 00:01

Kamn

Thanks for having a look. Anyone getting into solar would be crazy to go lead acid in my opinion. Lighter weight, smaller, longer lifespan, more forgiving, no off gassing...... I could go on! Good luck with your build.

Steve_S
# Posted: 29 Jun 2017 08:09

@Ontario Lakeside... Imagine not having to pay Ontario Hydro Ransom every month and what you could do with that !

I dunno how many people here realize it but in our Province, the Power Rates have jumped 140% in the past 8 years and there are no signs of increases abating (just lip service only by gov't). Solar & Related get cheaper while grid power just goes up, up and away.... Talk about a "Passive Aggressive" way to get people onto solar be it micro-fit or off-grid.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 29 Jun 2017 08:19

The one aerial shot you had shows a pretty dense canopy surrounding your panels with what I assume is not much east/west exposure.

You getting enough sun?

creeky
# Posted: 29 Jun 2017 14:13

Aw. You guys are making me blush.

Congrats on the build OL. That's a real clean setup. And your solar rack is cool.

Off grid rules! Lithium forever! (or until something better comes along).

NorthRick
# Posted: 29 Jun 2017 16:05

Quoting: Steve_S
I dunno how many people here realize it but in our Province, the Power Rates have jumped 140% in the past 8 years and there are no signs of increases abating (just lip service only by gov't). Solar & Related get cheaper while grid power just goes up, up and away....

Just curious, what do you pay per KWhr?

ColdFlame
# Posted: 29 Jun 2017 17:28

Ontario is paying:

Off-peak
7.7 ¢/kWh

Mid-peak
11.3 ¢/kWh

On-peak
15.7 ¢/kWh

https://www.oeb.ca/rates-and-your-bill/electricity-rates

I believe that fluctuates constantly though... correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve_S
# Posted: 29 Jun 2017 18:05

Power Rates vary a bit in this province depending on location. Cheaper in a major city like Toronto or Ottawa but the further out you go, the more they gouge... Rural rates of course are higher and the lower density = even more charges...

Here is the historical rate charge going back 8 years.
http://www.ontario-hydro.com/historical-rpp-rates

creeky
# Posted: 29 Jun 2017 18:28

I was talking with a rural guy. He's paying $100 even if they don't deliver a watt of power to him. Just to be hooked up. Ouch.

Just
# Posted: 29 Jun 2017 22:50

Last bill was 171.00
we used 763 kw
thats a all in price with tax of 22.5 cents per kw hr

NorthRick
# Posted: 30 Jun 2017 13:25 - Edited by: NorthRick

My primary residence is in Anchorage, Alaska. This is what we pay right now:

Residential Service Rates
Customer Charge $8.00/month
Energy Charge 11.832¢
Fuel Charge 5.362¢
Purchased Power Charge 0.399¢
Fire Island Wind Renewable Energy Adj.* 0.139¢
Regulatory Cost Charge 0.0675¢
Gross Revenue Tax 0.05¢
Total per kWh 17.8495¢

Doesn't matter what time of day you use it. I suppose if you used none, it'd cost you $8 for the month.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 1 Jul 2017 00:52

At out Toronto house our march bill was $89.65

we used 381kWh

off peak .087 kWh
mid peak .132 kWh
on peak .18 kWh

delivery $39.16
regulatory $2.93
HST $11.10

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 1 Jul 2017 00:59

rachelsdad

We get good sun from the east and south. about 2pm the west is partly blocked by two trees. I can rotate the panels and get from 4pm to 8pm this time of year with sun over the beaver pond. So far the batteries are topped up by 11am so not much of an issue. If we find we need the added charging time I will take the trees out.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 17:24

Just got back from the cottage, we haven't been up since November. The system was shut down that whole time, It lost only .75 volts in 5 months!
Creeky is right about Lithium!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.