Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 12V fan wiring question -- I think I screwed up
p0rtia
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 14:23

So I now have a small DC 12V system at my cabin, powered by 2 x 100W panels on the roof and 4 golf-cart batts. Runs the composting toilet and on-demand hot water heater in the Tiki Toilet, and my fridge and kitchen water pump in the cabin. Loving it!

I'm now installing a 12V ceiling fan, which has a nice wall switch. Four wires: black, red, orange, yellow.

So I bought some 14 - 3 Romex to wire the fan/switch to the fuse box, knowing that I needed four wires and thinking that I'd use the 4th, bare wire in the Romex for the negative (black) connection.

Except when I looked at that bare wire I began to doubt. I have no idea if I should do this, or if it's safe, so I stopped my hook-up and came running here.

Please someone who knows these things, tell me if I can use my 14-3 or if I should quick run get 14-4 or something else?

Thanks as always. This site and you folks are an invaluable resource.

darz5150
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 20:31 - Edited by: darz5150

Is the fan reversible? If so I would think the switch would be like one for a trolling motor. Which would have a positive and a negative going to the switch, and then 4 wires going to the motor, reversing the polarity inside the switch. Could you post a pic of the switch/wires?

p0rtia
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 20:53

Yes, reversible. Black and Red to power, yellow and orange operate switch. Will post piccy in the AM. Thanks, darz!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 21:19

If you are using a wall switch and want to reverse the polarity, you need a DPDT switch, this is a double pole (2 inputs) and a double throw, 2 sets of outputs.

The switch will have 6 terminals on the back, hook battery and ground to the middle ones. Hook fan to pair at one end and then cross the end ones from end to end. It will look like this when done.
DPDT.png
DPDT.png

darz5150
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 21:36 - Edited by: darz5150

Possibly high/low speed? How many wires go to the fan? Once you post a pic, I am sure someone can help you figure it out. One more question tho. Is there a switch on the fan to reverse it? Or can you add a light fixture to the fan?

p0rtia
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 06:52

Here's the photo.

I don't want to reverse the polariy--I just want to know if it's safe to use the bare copper wire in the hook-up, as follows:

switch romex

black bare
red red
yellow white
orange black

I could also do other combos, but it doesn't matter. I just want to know if it's safe to use that bare wire.

Thanks!
IMG_4588.JPG
IMG_4588.JPG

creeky
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 08:13

Would it be a lot of work to pull another wire? Running the neutral (black) on a bare ground wire. Things that make me go ... hmmm.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 08:50

I'm with creeky, just pull another wire if the polarity reversal idea wont work.

ICC
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 10:30

The idea of using the bare wire in the romex is not something you would want to do with a 120 VAC circuit and it would be outside the box so to speak to use the bare in a 12 volt system, but I don't see a problem. It is insulated when it is inside the main jacket. As long as fuses are used what's the problem???

p0rtia
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 12:13

Thanks, ICC -- That's what I thought, but when it came to actually hooking it up, I hesitated. I needed the confirmation.

NorthRick
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 12:42

I'm with ICC. I wouldn't do it on at 120 volts but at 12 volts with the bare wire inside the romex sheathing, I think that would be fine.

p0rtia
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 18:12

Thanks, NorthRick! I will screw up my courage and do it!

p0rtia
# Posted: 9 Jul 2017 16:08

Thanks, guys.
IMG_4591.JPG
IMG_4591.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.