Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Battery pizo oven/range
ADK Don
# Posted: 31 Jul 2017 20:46

I had an oven where the pilot light went out and girlfriend did not like the gas smell lucky the dogs did not either and barked and woke us up! Anyhow looking to buy new oven/range and was looking at battery Pizo because of not having electric. Anyone have? Easy to hook up? Thanks!

deercula
# Posted: 31 Jul 2017 21:49

I have a 20" Premier that has a battery ignition. Comes ready for natural gas and is made to convert easily to propane.

FishHog
# Posted: 1 Aug 2017 08:15

I have the same bought from Menards. Works great and doesn't waste propane like a pilot does.

darz5150
# Posted: 1 Aug 2017 23:44

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81AXBC32sEL._SY450_.jpg
We have this one. We use it in our summer kitchen for canning and baking. Its not huge, but you can bake pizzas, pressure canning etc. and its portable.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Aug 2017 08:45

Those with battery ignition, is this a 12V battery or does it use a small D cell etc inside the stove/oven?

Mine is older, I have a "no pilot" feature on burners and "pilot off" feature for the oven to save propane, but was thinking of replacing it with a new unit, but dont want to add 12V wiring/battery.

FishHog
# Posted: 2 Aug 2017 16:33

mine takes 8 x AA batteries

Atlincabin
# Posted: 2 Aug 2017 21:08 - Edited by: Atlincabin

darz, that is very similar or the same as my Camp Chef. Requires no batteries, just a piezo starter. We use is full-time for 3-4 months every summer. Takes some getting used to (regarding temperature control) but very functional. Two top burners plus small oven. Reasonably priced ($US250) compared to some of the other options.

(edit) and with a bit of plumbing work, it can be converted to run on low-pressure gas. Designed for the little Coleman bottles that screw directly into the back of the unit, but I replaced mine with a low-P regulator on a tank OUTSIDE the cabin rather than having high-P propane inside. Literature says that they are for outside use only but works fine indoors.

darz5150
# Posted: 2 Aug 2017 21:24 - Edited by: darz5150

@atlin. Yes, its a camp chef. We love it and have no complaints about it. We live full time in our cabin, so we do most all cooking outdoors during the warmer months. It has plenty of btu's for pressure canning or deep frying etc. Oven isn't big enough to cook a turkey, but everything else it works great for. Very portable too.
I also got the bulk hose for it. We also use the small bottles if we bring it inside during the winter to do multiple baking projects when we use it and our indoor stove/oven.

deercula
# Posted: 2 Aug 2017 21:45

Quoting: FishHog

mine takes 8 x AA batteries

Same here, you can also light with a match or lighter if battery fails.

beachman
# Posted: 14 Aug 2017 18:43

I have a 30 in. Premier range the comes like deercula, fitted for natural gas but has a conversion for propane. I have wired the cottage from solar panels through a 1000 watt ps inverter and installed a conventional plug in the wall. The stove sparks to light and has no pilot or glow plug. Like deecula, it can be lighted with a match if no power - even the oven.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.