Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / New solar system and need clarification on my total AH
Mr RoC
# Posted: 8 Aug 2017 17:45

Hello Everyone,

The original batteries that came with the cabin we bought finally went belly up and we did a complete upgrade with 4 x 250W panel, Midnite Classic 150 and a 12V system for now.

My plans for the new battery set up was 8 x 12V, 130AH in parallel for 1040AH total.

The store I bought my supplies from recommended for the same price and future upgrades and I went with this is 8 x 6V, 260AH hooked up in series for 12V and then parallel. My question is with this set-up is the total AH 2080 or 1040AH?

Just wanted some clarification and thanks in advance for the replies.

Cheers

ICC
# Posted: 8 Aug 2017 19:08 - Edited by: ICC

Connect in series; add the volts and the AH stays the same.
Connect in parallel; add the AH and the volts stay the same

So 12 volts, 1040 AH

FWIW, I'd have done a 24 volt system but then you'd need a new inverter

Mr RoC
# Posted: 8 Aug 2017 19:26

Thanks.

No inverter yet. And it will be reconfigured for 24V when I get the inverter.

Everything in the cabin is currently running on 12v.

NorthRick
# Posted: 9 Aug 2017 12:48

Paralleling batteries in a bank is bad and should be avoided. Over time the individual batteries start to differ on SOC and some batteries get over charged while others get under charged. That leads to early failure of the whole bank.

Lower voltage individual batteries (6v or even lower) connected in series and a higher bank voltage (24v or 48v) are how you avoid parallel connections while keeping the same overall available power.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.