Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / water storage
sparky30_06
# Posted: 9 Aug 2017 08:38

Going to be using some IBC tote tanks to store water. Any tips on keeping algae from growing in it? I really don't want to wrap them in plastic or paint them. Can I just add a small amount of bleach to the water??

Just
# Posted: 9 Aug 2017 08:54

filter all water ''before '' it goes in , and add bleach once a week ..

fitzpatt
# Posted: 9 Aug 2017 11:24

From my experience, unless you are very diligent in keeping the water bleach treated, you will get algae. I had a difficult time for a couple years, but as soon as I cleaned it out and added black plastic around the tote (inside the steel enclosure), I haven't had any issue. It is a very inexpensive easy fix.

Rooker23
# Posted: 9 Aug 2017 11:25

Just,

I like the system you have posted on here before. How do you have the 12volt pump placed in the system? Inside or outside next to the rain barrel? Is the pump on-demand meaning that when you open a valve the pump kicks on then off? Thanks. Im going to try to base my rain collection water system off yours so any more pics or diagrams including inside would be awesome. Thanks!

NorthRick
# Posted: 9 Aug 2017 13:00

Quoting: fitzpatt
From my experience, unless you are very diligent in keeping the water bleach treated, you will get algae. I had a difficult time for a couple years, but as soon as I cleaned it out and added black plastic around the tote (inside the steel enclosure), I haven't had any issue. It is a very inexpensive easy fix.

That hasn't been my experience, but I'm in a cooler climate than most. I give it a good dose of bleach (about a pint) when I fill the tote and it stays clear for several months.

Just
# Posted: 9 Aug 2017 15:14

Rooker
yes it is a 3gpm on demand 12v surflow pump it is inside the cabin but on the floor making it below the leval of the water in the tank . this helps with priming in the spring but once primed it works great . No inside pic .its just a old trailer we use as a camp
northrick
we do drink our water after boiling so we only add a small amount of bleach once a week..

sparky30_06
# Posted: 10 Aug 2017 06:41

the tanks will be filled from a well. Built a water wagon to transport the water to 2 totes that will be used for storage. Adding bleach weekly is not an option cause it could be a month or two before I'm out there again. Unfortunate the well is very slow so draining then each time isn't an option either. The only thing I worry about with wrapping them is the heat they will gain sitting in the Texas sun, guess I won't need a water heater plus the space between the tank and plastic will be great for critters to live.

neckless
# Posted: 10 Aug 2017 09:02

remember water treatment plants use about 6 parts per million for chlorination

Just
# Posted: 10 Aug 2017 09:11

Build a roof over them so they don't get direct sunlight,, leave the sides open for cooling... try using swimming pool slow desollving chlorine pucks to maintain active levels during you absence. .

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Aug 2017 09:30

Darkness is the solution, however you achieve it. Light=algae. Think Darth Vader, go to the dark side.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 10 Aug 2017 09:54

bldginsp
I live my life like a mushroom, in the dark and feed a lot of shit!! lol

Just
That might be my solution. I don't mind a few wasps on an overhang, more worried about buzz worms finding a nice place to keep warm

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.