Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Heat - What to use
t_bell40
# Posted: 30 Aug 2017 12:35

Hi All, I am looking to buy something to heat my shed with. It is 12ft by 26ft. Around 300 sq ft so, I am guessing around 10k btu s. I will be using propane as it is cheaper than fuel oil. So far what I see is around 500 dollars for a direct vent type heater. Any ideas ??

frankpaige
# Posted: 31 Aug 2017 21:53

I went with the Northern Tools heater. Very pleased. I found a deal on Craigslist in my area for $400.00.
Used only about twice a month in the winter. Mine is a 12 x 16.
Love it
Simple and works grand
Have fun.

frankpaige
# Posted: 31 Aug 2017 21:55

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631837_200631837

Rickkrus
# Posted: 31 Aug 2017 22:48

Mr. Heater Big Buddy. You can get two for way less than five hundred bucks. One might work ok.

ICC
# Posted: 31 Aug 2017 23:17

I have a hunt cabin with the larger Housewarmer from Northern Tool. I like it as it is direct vent, no fumes no water vapor inside like a Mr heater. Safer in my mind. How many BTU you need is a function of cabin insulation and air tightness plus the exterior temperature. For occasional use remember that it takes a while to heat the building to the point where you don't feel the cold falling off the walls. Because of that I also have a wood burner for an extra warm up kick. Don't actually use it a lot other than for that.

NorthRick
# Posted: 1 Sep 2017 16:17

Direct vent sends the exhaust outside. Mr. Heater and other vent free heaters keep the exhaust in with you. Direct vent is more expensive than vent free. Your choice.

rockies
# Posted: 1 Sep 2017 19:34

DON'T INSTALL AN UNVENTED HEATER!

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/energy-solutions/avoid-unvented-gas-he aters

Littlecooner
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 09:25

I have plans on the $ 500 direct vent propane heater when I finally finish my cabin. I have snooped the internet looking for something under the $ 500 range for 8,000-10,000,12,000 BTU heaters and it appears that this is the entry level price. I do not understand the huge price difference in an unvented vs vented heater made by the same people. I have went the cheap route on the cabin but I will pay the money for a direct vent when time comes ( which I hope is only a few months away). Way to much at risk in a small area building to install an unvented heater.

t_bell40
# Posted: 4 Sep 2017 08:19

k Thanks All. I think I am going to use a franklin stove. 300 bucks. Plus I have all the free wood in the world (after cutting and hauling of course..LOL) Not too large and work well for the amount of time ill spend there in the dead of winter.

Willie1959
# Posted: 5 Sep 2017 06:59

Go propane for either your wall heater or generator. Auto propane is .55 a liter you have to use forklift cylinders ASME and an adapter to go on the quick fill to use vapour, not the liquid feed. Best kept secret there is. It cost .25 cent per hour to run my 2000 watt generator.

t_bell40
# Posted: 10 Sep 2017 08:36

Not sure if I am suppose to add to this post or start a new one ??
I wanted to ask what does anyone prefer over the other as far as wood stove over lp wall heater ??

KinAlberta
# Posted: 10 Sep 2017 10:06 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Our old wood stoves all leak smoke. While a couple (we have four + 1 in storage) may be family heirlooms, I'd love to get rid of them all. Also, splitting and carrying wood isn't one of those cherished childhood memories that I wish the next generation to experience.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 10 Sep 2017 10:16

We use wood. We are located a few miles inland from the North Shore of Lake Superior. We tried the LP Wall Heater. For us it was a bust, but that was likely due to the location of the installation. The winter winds made the LP difficult to light and would often blow out the pilot. Moving the location was not desirable as it would place the exhaust along the deck. I would have liked having the LP as an additional option, as wood requires me to get up early and stoke the fire. Overall we are very pleased with the comfort of the wood stove, and we can heat water and I also place a coleman stove oven on top (not great for baking, but a good warming oven))

cspot
# Posted: 10 Sep 2017 10:52

I am using a woodstove in my cabin (recreational use only), but also have a buddy heater to help warm it up quickly or for cool weather when you just need to run it for a bit to take the chill out. We used the buddy heater in our camper and while it is rated for indoor use, it did make me nervous. I had two CO detectors (good idea anyway) as an added precaution. The unvented heaters really put alot of moisture out.

I do plan to eventually add a direct vent heater to our cabin as well, so I can run it when I don't feel like burning wood. Right now Northern has a little bit of a sale on them.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.