Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Generator venting in garage join heater vent?
Malamute
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 15:29 - Edited by: Malamute

In my dads garage (detached) hes had a generator for years for power outages. The exhaust was tied into a 5" vent through the roof to keep the garage fairly tolerable when the generator was running. The same vent also has the gas heater for the garage T'ed into it. The old generator had a fairly good vent connection to the muffler. The new generator is different, and so far, not connected to vent the exhaust. the only way Ive been able to figure out how to connect to the irregular shape of the exhaust leaves some gaps. I'm wondering if I can use an inline booster fan to help keep the exhaust going out instead of leaking out the irregular spots where I'll connect to the muffler, what CFM fan I should use, and if the booster fan being below the heater vent T will cause any trouble with the heater venting well when it runs and the generator is also running.

This is the type fan I'm looking at. The cheaper versions in the plain round pipe section.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vent+pipe+duct+booster+fan+5%22&source=univ&tbm=shop& tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ5PDasaDWAhVLxFQKHTf9CJoQsxgIJw&biw=1188&bih=566&dpr=1.15

Generator exhaust
Generator exhaust
Heater vent T
Heater vent T

ICC
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 15:37

I think there may be a problem with the booster fan causing as backdraft with the hanging furnace. I ran into an issue in a house that used a single insulated chimney that served a furnace and a water heater.I wanted to change to a newer water heater that had a blower system to aid in combustion efficiency. The code people told me I could not mix a unit with a fan into the same flue with a unit with no fan. I was told I'd need to make changes to the flues; have 2. So I gave upon that.

Malamute
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 16:12

Interesting. OK, thanks.

It wouldn't be simple to make another vent for the generator, I may end up having to just not use the heater when the generator is running.

groingo
# Posted: 13 Sep 2017 13:12

Looks like you have a cinder block wall so why not change the angle of the generator, drill a hole through the cinder block and run the exhast out the wall, easy peasy.

Malamute
# Posted: 15 Sep 2017 12:05 - Edited by: Malamute

Thats a heckuvalot more work than tying it into an existing vent, and it would end up being an eyesore where it would come out.

Kind of reminds me of the time I told a buddy "Oh, its not that hard to cut concrete floors and re-route drain lines to change the location of the toilet".

I also have a serious back and shoulder injury. What used to be fairly simple, just isnt any more. Low impact on the body rules now.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.