Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Buyer beware Propane in Pacific Northwest
groingo
# Posted: 10 Oct 2017 12:35

Notice it is taking more Propane to do the same job, when a tank would normally go 16 days now only 11?
I got curious and sent three random samples to a lab for testing and it showed the Propane contained over 40% water which should have diluted it but they also found something odd in the mix which was Ethanol.
Seems its cheaper to water it down with cheaper Ethanol rather than Propane which do mix together .

NorthRick
# Posted: 10 Oct 2017 17:06

Who are you getting your propane from? I can't believe 40% water would be legal to sell.

DaveBell
# Posted: 10 Oct 2017 17:56

That Rhino Gas did that to me. I get refilled only from RV place or Costco, BJ's, etc.

hamish
# Posted: 10 Oct 2017 20:11 - Edited by: hamish

How were you able to send samples to a lab?

Ethanol is a liquid versus propane being a gas, chemical properties, mass share some properties, however the ignition points are near opposite. Are you sure it just wasn't ethanethiol that was present? (that the odour you get from propane for leak detection etc....)

The water content is most likely from condensation inside the tank, just from outdoor temperature changes. Whens the last time your tank was purged?

NorthRick
# Posted: 11 Oct 2017 13:11

Quoting: hamish
The water content is most likely from condensation inside the tank, just from outdoor temperature changes. Whens the last time your tank was purged?

How would that moisture get in the tank in the first place? It's not like a vented gas tank where air moves in and out from changes in temperature and fuel level.

The only two ways I can think of are 1) the tank sat empty with the valve open, or 2) it was mixed in with the propane from the supplier. I would assume (yes, I know) that the 2nd possibility is regulated as to how much water content can be in propane that's for sale.

ICC
# Posted: 11 Oct 2017 14:32

So, other than post a message about it here did you talk to the supplier or the government agency that regulates propane? I do know that in someplaces, in winter, methanol used to be added to a tank, but that was done only with the lafrger on or in ground tanks with about 12 ounces methanol, added to a 250 gallon tank. I suppose they could use ethanol as well, but the norm isto usemethanol. reason being methanol is poisonous and ethanol is not. So to avoid tax evasion ethanol is more tightly controlled or has methanol added to "denature" it.

But if there really was 40% water in that something is wrong and somebody should be in deep doodoo. You must have an isolated problem, maybe a crook someplace in the chain of supply, so I think a complaint to the oversight agency is needed.

hamish
# Posted: 11 Oct 2017 19:10

Quoting: NorthRick
How would that moisture get in the tank in the first place? It's not like a vented gas tank where air moves in and out from changes in temperature and fuel level.The only two ways I can think of are 1) the tank sat empty with the valve open, or 2) it was mixed in with the propane from the supplier. I would assume (yes, I know) that the 2nd possibility is regulated as to how much water content can be in propane that's for sale.

Just by the normal heating and cooling by the ambient temperature outdoors throughout the day. Propane tanks and vessels are metal, the heating and cooling process will create condensate, being sealed or not.

ICC
# Posted: 11 Oct 2017 20:57 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: hamish
Just by the normal heating and cooling by the ambient temperature outdoors throughout the day. Propane tanks and vessels are metal, the heating and cooling process will create condensate, being sealed or not.

???? think about that for a sec... I have serious doubts about that statement. Yes, water vapor might condense on the exterior of the tank, especially when propane is being consumed. Propane in a tank exerts pressure outwards. no way water vapor is going to make it through a steel wall into a vessel with pressure inside it. Also no way water vapor under normal atmospheric pressure is going to pass through a steel wall, even if there was a vacuum in the tank. You don't get condensation without the presence of water vapor. You can't get a build up, an increase in the amount of condensate without the introduction of new quantities of water vapor moving from one side to another, like what can happen with air leaky poor house wall construction. But propane tanks are steel, aluminum or special plastics and kevlar.

Show me a scientific explanation of your claim and I will eat my words.

Also AFAIK purging is only required with a new tank or with a tank that has sat with the valve open to the atmosphere. And with the new valves that seal when the hose fitting is removed that safety device should also prevent any need for later purging.

hamish
# Posted: 11 Oct 2017 22:38

Well its been near 30 years since my last chemistry class........
There is already water vapour in a propane tank, even when purged due to the adding of Methanol. As the pressure in the your tank lessens the ability to create more moisture increases.

I have yet to see a tank larger then 40lbs with a OPD valve fitted.

I don't have a scientific explanation, and doubt your local gas supplier could present you with one either, yet I have experienced freeze ups and state changes with propane.

FishHog
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 14:06

Sorry Hamish, but other than the limited amount of moisture in the tank originally, it won't gain more from heating and cooling. The open to atmosphere fuel tank on your car will, but a closed system like a propane tank cannot. Unless its left unhooked with the valve open, the only way moisture is getting in is from the propane source during filling.

ICC
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 14:23

Quoting: FishHog
Sorry Hamish, but other than the limited amount of moisture in the tank originally, it won't gain more from heating and cooling. The open to atmosphere fuel tank on your car will, but a closed system like a propane tank cannot. Unless its left unhooked with the valve open, the only way moisture is getting in is from the propane source during filling.

Nailed it!!

But hamish is correct on the OPD; only needed on 40# and smaller. I do believe a lot of the small cabin owners are using 20, 30 and 40's.

hamish
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 20:38

Ok wont argue with that, but how does the moisture get in to the propane source during filling..........big tank filling lil tank..........if it cant get into the small tank, how does it get into the big tank.........??

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 08:02

it has to be contamination from the supplier in the first place. its not forming in the tanks.

snobdds
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 11:12

https://www.hunker.com/12597867/how-to-remove-water-from-a-propane-tank

NorthRick
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 11:53

Remember, propane, natural gas, and crude oil (which can be used to make propane) all come from the ground. Water is also in the ground. The water and other impurities should get removed during refining and processing but sounds like maybe this didn't happen in groingo's case.

groingo
# Posted: 16 Oct 2017 11:22 - Edited by: groingo

Propane supplier's Suburban Propane, Cenex and Star Ice.
Testing Lab Analytical 360 in Seattle (foreign material division)
Ethanol is used to remove water but can also be used to increase volitility with water present much like the product Heet used in gasoline.
State regulations exist but are not enforced. in Washington.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.