Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Any Ham radio operators out there?
Bigred292
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 21:59

Taking a class right now to get my Ham license. I've always wanted to try it out so I took the plunge.
I really don't know much about it- thought it might have a use at the cabin. I don't get a great phone signal so maybe this could help keep in touch?
Anyways, are there any Hams out there? Do you have a set up at the cabin or do you bring it back with you?
I'm thinking of bringing my equipment back and forth but am open to any ideas.
Any help or pics of your setup would be appreciated

leonk
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 22:15

search the forum - there's an old thread on that.
Where are you?
You'll be limited in range by your equipment (duh!
I don't have the license, I only listen with the mobile radio.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 22:18 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Yes, lots of hams in here, myself included. I got my ticket back in 93. I have my late grandfathers call which he obtained in the fall of 1938.

I am an extra class, we have MtDon is a ham, Don_P is a ham, bassrjm from Canada (hope I have the right user name, another one from Minnesota Dillio 187, Bevis...

Do a search, there is another thread, asking how many hams in here.
Found it: http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/8_2396_1.html

73 from Rick

Bigred292
# Posted: 14 Oct 2017 05:55

I'm located in southern NH
My cabin is pretty remote and in the mountains. I looked up the chart and I do have a few repeaters on the towns on either side of me
I did use the search function but just couldn't find the info that I was looking for

Bevis
# Posted: 16 Oct 2017 12:29

Yes, I'm a ham. Been using DMR lately. When Hurricane Irma came thru sw fla last month...we lost comms between two EOC's...but I happened to have my HT and we were able to relay info back and forth.

Jr23
# Posted: 23 Oct 2017 13:35

Welcome to ham radio .and try to upgrade to general when possible gives more frequency choice. Check areasraces-leecountyfl.org/news.HTML
For go box so you can take equipment anywhere easily .and depending on freq a copper cactus j pole easy to make and a ocf dipole will get you on most freq fairly cheap and easy .73

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.