Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Question for Creeky
Kamn
# Posted: 4 Dec 2017 15:46

Hi Creeky,
have been keeping an eye on what you have been doing with Lithium and solar.
On to my question, can the complete battery from a Chevy Volt be used for my solar setup? I know that some sections are 48V and others 24V....can it be reconfigured so I get to use it all and not have to sell off any parts?
Im looking at a really low mileage Volt battery that I would like to get y hands on for my future cabin

Cheers
Kamn

creeky
# Posted: 4 Dec 2017 18:35

You can put the whole thing together at 48v. Tie the 2 24s together for a 48. Don't buy 2016 or later. Has to be 2012-15.

One thing: With that many cells its a good idea to install a BMS. I think you know, I have BMS and harnesses on my biz site.

That will be a real nice pack tho. Good luck.

creeky
# Posted: 4 Dec 2017 18:42 - Edited by: creeky

Oh. And a bug the lead guys update.

Creeky's lithium battery report:

Its now been over 3 weeks since I've been fully charged. I'm mostly surfing between 43 and 46. Two days I've made it to 47.

I'm using 2kw/day. Can't express the joy of getting 2.3kw of sun and actually getting 2.25kw of power to use into my batteries.

Its also really weird to see your batteries at 43. Get 4kw of sun. And only make it to 47. My 9kw lithium pack really is about 1kw per V.

>this is the "poor" season for my area. Heavy cloud. I made 40w on the worst day. Not snowing. Just real heavy cloud. Most days I'm getting around 2kw. Break even for me. No dishwasher. No induction cooktop.

Kamn
# Posted: 5 Dec 2017 08:03

What is the issue with 2016 or later??

creeky
# Posted: 5 Dec 2017 08:20

64v modules. you can't use half the pack. unless you feel like ordering a 60v inverter out of china. or. building one yourself. hmmm.

Kamn
# Posted: 5 Dec 2017 09:22

will be in touch with you for the other items I will need via your website.

Thank You Creeky

rachelsdad
# Posted: 7 Dec 2017 21:51

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Chevy-Volt-Battery-2kWh-pack-Solar-Golf-cart/2224209558 03?hash=item33c952729b:g:PZEAAOSwVJhZSXm0&vxp=mtr

How many of these would I need to replace my current 8 x 330 ah 6 volt Trojans?

creeky
# Posted: 9 Dec 2017 10:22

Great price. Grab them.

For the sake of clarity I'm going to do some rounding off.

Your pack is:
8 x 6v = 50v. 50v x 330 ah = 16,500w. 15000 / 20% = 3,300w.
That's the size of your "usable" power.

So 2 of those Volt modules is 4,250w x 80% = 3,400w.

For all intents and purposes you would need 2 modules to replace that pack. I would recommend though that you look at between 3 and 6. This gives you the "uh oh" factor. You can discharge your lead acid pack up to 50% once in a while to get through that 3 days of whatever.

So that would be 8,250 watts. In which case you'd need 5 Volt modules.

Quibbles:
Those are older modules at 2013. Grade A?

Lead has a performance factor of roughly 1.3. For every 1w you use you need your solar system to generate 1.3w.
With the Volt modules your looking at 1.05. So the 20% (or better with a variety of factors to consider) increase in efficiency how do you size your bank for that?

I also like to use the switch over from lead to lithium to increase power availability. If you're going to get more out of your already installed system. Why not increase it a bit. But that's your decision to make.

Remember. All donations happily accepted. Cheers

Atlincabin
# Posted: 9 Dec 2017 11:08

Creeky,

I've never been able to figure out how to contact anyone offline at this forum. If you know how to do so, would you please email me directly.

Thanks,
Atlincabin

Wilbour
# Posted: 9 Dec 2017 13:55 - Edited by: Wilbour

Google: Dolichonyx oryzivorus

Then add "solar"

creeky
# Posted: 10 Dec 2017 14:51

thx Wilbour. I'm stealing that one for my website and business card.

FishHog
# Posted: 10 Dec 2017 20:47

funny wilbour. I had to google that just to see what you were talking about.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.