Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / How many gallons of water do your use a week.
larryh
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 07:53

At one point I had a cistern. In those days I still used running water, (gravity) and a flush toilet. Neither of those things is now in use. The old cistern is long gone and I signed up for city water when it went though many years ago now. However since all the systems related to the water have now stop operating and are not worth fixing to me, I am eyeing that monthly minimum water charge of 26.00 and wondering if a small cistern might not be worth considering again. I do the dishes at the dry sink I constructed and use a sawdust potty, both of which photos are in other threads. I know when I had the very large old cistern it would run low on water in summer and having water delivered is not a bargain either. In those days I had a hand force pump and the gravity tank in the attic. It held 45 gallons and would last most days on a filling. But more company or laundry and of course the running water did use more than I am using now quite a bit. It made me wonder if some of you who are also dependent on either hauling or collecting water know about how much water you use in an average week or month? I have a feeling that I might be able to get by with much less than I did so that a small new cistern might keep up in most weather.

Another factor might be that my mom has a fairly large new home next door to my old one. Her main cutter system heads the water toward my home and I have wondered if I might tap into the vast amounts of water that come off that roof for my use? I could easily fill a cistern from her home at a small charge for 1,000 gallons, but the water system will not allow you to provide water to another home since they want their monthly fee..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.