Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar power - finally!!!
Borrego
# Posted: 28 Jan 2018 21:32

I've been planning for solar for years now, and I've been working on installing the system for a couple weeks and just got it fired up today for the first time! It was so exciting to see a light go on without a generator running....and the fridge came on and cooled right down...full of beer for now, but hey it's all we had...

I turned it all off before we left since I hadn't had time to really feel it out and get comfortable with it, but next time out, I'll finish inputting the settings and finish a few wiring details then we will leave it on during the week....

For anyone who is heading down this path, I say keep going, it is an amazing process and even better end product! Not easily doable for everyone I guess (I've had some building and electrical experience to draw on) but could be done with help and all the online resources available nowadays.....

And it is not nearly as expensive as it used to be either, or as much as I thought it would be when I started...

I'll post more and better pics when I get it all wired up properly, some of the wiring you see was redone after I took the pics (because it didn't work!)
IMG_20180128_0748231.jpg
IMG_20180128_0748231.jpg
IMG_20180128_0748477.jpg
IMG_20180128_0748477.jpg
IMG_20180128_0749231.jpg
IMG_20180128_0749231.jpg
IMG_20180128_1232543.jpg
IMG_20180128_1232543.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 31 Jan 2018 20:20

Looks like a real nice top end Borrego.
Welcome to the world of free power.

Borrego
# Posted: 31 Jan 2018 22:00

Thanks Creeky! It is a real eye-opener having off grid power, never thought I'd see the day sometimes.....

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Feb 2018 06:52

Very nice tidy setup there ! The Hum of Power Freedom eh ! LOL

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Feb 2018 09:18

Yeah, pretty awesome! I'm still amazed it works!

frankpaige
# Posted: 6 Feb 2018 12:27

Borrego
Any suggestions on a good solar company to work with in the lower 48? Ready to pull the trigger on a smaller cabin set up and hopefully there are some that have worked with companies that they liked.
Your right. Looking forward to not having the Jenny noise.
Thanks

Borrego
# Posted: 7 Feb 2018 21:18

Quoting: frankpaige
Any suggestions on a good solar company to work with in the lower 48?

Frank - I used a consultant (advice/equipment procurement) who was, in fact, recommended to me by someone on this forum. If you'd like his contact info, PM me...
I believe there is a member on here (Creeky?) who also does this.....

creeky
# Posted: 7 Feb 2018 21:24

that is correct. I do advice/equipment procurement. I have helped many folks. Some from this site. bobolinksolar dot com is how to get ahold of me.

frankpaige
# Posted: 7 Feb 2018 22:49

How do I say this and? I have learned SO much from this site. It has helped me get a cabin built and also enjoy the process. Doesn't get much better. We all know the feeling.
Creeky, I have reached out twice to your website and had no response. Not sure what happened, but I won't do it again.
Thought maybe there were other suggestions out there.
Hard headed, I know. Looking to make the next step into no jenny noise.

offgridjunkie
# Posted: 8 Feb 2018 11:26

FrankP -

You are going to love getting away from the generator. I think the hardest part was determining how much power I wanted have available and then decide how I was going to store it. I ran spreadsheet after spreadsheet and then decided to start small, but I purchase equipment that could be expanded. Best decision I made was a good MPPT Charge Controller that allowed me to expand my solar array as I upgraded my battery bank. Put in a nice E-panel like Borrego did and then you just upgrade your inverter as your power needs increase or if you change battery voltage.

creeky
# Posted: 8 Feb 2018 20:47 - Edited by: creeky

No worries frank. However,. I responded to your email jan. 14. Hunt...cab...
Maybe check your email?

We have a nice "simplified schematic" at the site some have found useful. And of course you can read the dozens of posts I have done here when asked for help.

Borrego
# Posted: 22 Feb 2018 22:46

Shot a short video last time out...just wanted to share...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08FbDUfnVA&feature=youtu.be

rachelsdad
# Posted: 24 Feb 2018 08:25

Frankpaige,

Are you in the Northeast?

frankpaige
# Posted: 24 Feb 2018 15:44

rachelsdad
No, ma'am. 2 hours southwest of Denver, Colorado.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.