Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Water storage in cold weather
Rickkrus
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 13:35

I'm in the process of building a 16 x24 cabin here in Colorado. I was planning on using a 200 gallon storage tank with a 20 gallon pressure tank and On demand pump. I was going to place both inside the cabin to prevent freezing. Inside will never get below 50-55 degrees. The cabin is on piers. A neighbor said I should place both underneath to save space. Skirt the cabin with plywood and staple r30 insulation all around the inside of the skirting. He claims it will not get below freezing underneath with this method. Any opinions?

rockies
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 18:37 - Edited by: rockies

200 gallons of water weighs 1668 lbs (plus the tank) so figure on maybe 1800 lbs. That's a lot of weight to be up on piers (and what if there's a leak while you are away?)

Have you considered a small outbuilding next to the cabin for all your utilities? You could construct an insulated chase between it and the cabin for the piping, and I would add an insulated heat tape around the pipes that operate on a thermostat in case of a sudden freeze.

Rickkrus
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 19:04

Good advice

SCSJeff
# Posted: 12 Feb 2018 11:32

Hmm...

I'm planning on doing the same thing. Although, with a 100-120 gallon tank and just the Shurflo pump with the accumulator. I do however, also have a 50 gallon hot water heater too.

I won't be leaving it full during the winter because I don't have grid electric to keep the place warm. However, during the summer, I will be leaving it full. I knew the weight issue. But, I was more worried about the shelf I built handling it. Never considered the piers being an issue?!?! What is the concern? Piers colapsing?

Rickkrus
# Posted: 13 Feb 2018 16:36

I will live in the cabin full time. Heating with direct vent propane and wood stove for secondary and aesthetics.

rockies
# Posted: 13 Feb 2018 19:45 - Edited by: rockies

Leaks are the biggest issue. Plus you still have the problem of how to get the water from underground to the underside of the cabin when it's built on piers. I was having the same dilemma. I was thinking about building an insulated chase between the ground and the cabin underside and maybe wrapping the pipes with heat tape, etc.

Then I realized the best thing to do was to attach the utility shed (with all the water tanks, filtration equipment and pumps) to one corner of the cabin but build it on a concrete pad on the ground (like a patio slab but with added insulation underneath it).

The water from the well comes into the utility shed via an underground pipe and then its cleaned and heated before being pumped through the connecting wall into the cabin. You can add a small propane direct vent wall heater on a thermostat in case of a sudden freeze.

The nice thing about this set-up is that if there ever is a leak the water tank is below the cabin floor and all the tanks weight is also resting right on the ground.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.