Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Septic System
kittysmitty
# Posted: 22 May 2018 17:01

Just looking for some general information and comments.
I have a remote cabin that is off grid and no need to worry about building permits or inspectors.
Currently have a outhouse and a composting toilet inside. My wife and the granddaughters would like something more like home, that's a flush toilet.
So, I started to do some research. When talking about a home system the number of 120 gallons per person per day come up. New low flush toilets use 1.6 gallons per flush, wow 120 gallons, that's a lot of flushes. I realize the 120 gallons per day includes washing, cooking etc.
So what sort of capacity would I be looking at? Weekend use, once a month, 5 people, only waste from toilet. All other grey water, is taken care of separately.
What sort of drainage field would be required?
I have found this one, but it seems over engineered for my needs.
https://www.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System

Thanks

Fanman
# Posted: 22 May 2018 19:13

A friend's cabin has a toilet going into what I believe is nothing more than a single 55 gallon drum with small holes poked in it and buried with gravel around it. Been in service for many years (7 days a week, but only 2 months per year).

Most of the cabins in my area share a few community outhouses which date back to the 1930s . They're "wet" outhouses, a wooden seat two holer over a concrete tank holding a few inches of water (though some have flush toilets draining into the tank) that's drained once a week into an adjacent cesspool. The cespools are nothing more than big holes in the ground covered with some corrugated metal with a thin layer of soil on top and a fence around it to keep people from walking on it.

kittysmitty
# Posted: 23 May 2018 17:19

Any other thoughts, comments or ideas?

Wilbour
# Posted: 23 May 2018 18:47

How bad is the composting toilet? There are some decent ones now. If you ask me, you seem to be going to a lot of trouble making it just like home. If that's ok with you then go for it. Otherwise it's just part of the experience.

I love my wife. She and her 80 year old mother choose to pee behind the shed.

Sorry, was that TMI?

beachman
# Posted: 23 May 2018 22:06

Got a Sunmar 2000 NE with Dometic low water (1 pint) flush toilet. Has worked great for 4 years now.

NorthRick
# Posted: 25 May 2018 13:21

I don't think the system you linked to is excessive for your situation. I'd consider it the minimum if you are going to have a septic system treat black water.

Borrego
# Posted: 25 May 2018 15:38

Out in the desert a lot of folks use the 55 gal drum concept....I have 3 at my place, 2 for the cabin and 1 for the guest trailer....They all have the bottoms mostly cut out, and 1/2" holes drilled all around about halfway up.....
No need for the gravel surround out there, the ground percolates plenty well what with all the sand and rocks.....

naturelover66
# Posted: 25 May 2018 16:37

At my cabin in northwest Michigan the Health Department determined I needed a 1000 gallon septic tank and three 40 foot rows for drain field. Cost me several thousand dollars. Mine is a 3 season cabin we use maybe 3 days a month. The well was alot more. 250 feet... Sand and clay for 9000.00 . I am adding on to it and it will be my permanent home someday.

Lisa

FishHog
# Posted: 26 May 2018 10:20

a large part of the appeal of my cabin is that it isn't like home. I quite enjoy the peace and quiet of looking over the lake watching nature from the outhouse and the fact that I can pee wherever I am when the need hits.

But even if that isn't your thing, the quality of a good composting toilet these days makes the cost of any type of a septic system hard to justify in my mind.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.