Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 12 volt microwave ovens?
paulz
# Posted: 16 Jun 2018 19:54

Wow, never knew they existed. Anyone used one?

http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-microwave-wavebox/12-volt-microwave.htm

Fanman
# Posted: 19 Jun 2018 14:40

55 amps, gonna need some heavy gauge wire and it'll suck your batteries down fast.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Jun 2018 20:57

Yeah I watched a video on it. Takes basically jumper cables. Supposed to have some kind of magic electrical box though. I'm over it but check out the video, he does make popcorn with it. Thanks for the reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do9hhXBFEa0

Fanman
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 13:07

We looked at small (not 12V) microwaves for our camper but due to space constraints and the fact that 110VAC often isn't available we decided to get a folding backpacker oven, the kind that sits on top of a stove burner. People have been cooking for many thousands of years without microwaves.

paulz
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 15:21 - Edited by: paulz

My wife has only one hand, and even that one is shakey. Also wheelchair bound. Never uses open flame when I'm not around and rarely when I am. A microwave is a safe way for her to cook, which she does at home. At the cabin I have been doing all the cooking, she would like to as much as I would like it, especially after a hard day's work (about every day there). We do have a 110ac microwave there I can run off a generator, which I've done once or twice just to try it out. I have an Onan remote start generator I need to get going one of these days, she could then use the micro without my help.

Fanman
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 19:42

OK, good reason. Sorry, it never occurred to me there could be reasons why a microwave is the best way to cook, never thought about it.

If you have the battery capacity, you might be able to run the AC microwave on an inverter. Any efficiency loss in the inverter would probably be offset by resistance losses due to the high current of the 12V oven.

Nate R
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 21:00

Not sure an AC microwave would be any less current. Guess it depends on whether you're on 12 or 24 volts.

I have a 700 Watt Microwave at home, about as small as they come. But it's not very efficient. 700W cooking power draws about 1000-1100W total. Now add in inverter efficiencies, and on 12V, you're looking at 100A!

Fanman
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 21:17

Right, but the high current is only between the battery and inverter, which would probably be much closer to the battery than the microwave, unless the battery is on the kitchen counter.

justinbowser
# Posted: 25 May 2020 17:33

We bought one of those tiny "Amazon Basics" microwaves for the cabin. Doesn't take up much room but does use a lot of juice which generally is not an issue as long as the sun is shining. I seem to remember looking at the meter when warming up something and it pulled around 1300 W from the battery. Told the wife that the microwave and AC could not run at the same time.

mj1angier
# Posted: 25 May 2020 19:21

So, it's not fast but I think it very safe and I think it might work for y'all- Tulsi hybrid solar oven.

My father in law got me one for my birthday a few years ago and we use camping when power is limited. It has a 110v ac hook up if it's cloudy. It does work more like a slow cooker but food is very moist and tender when ready.

Video of one working-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svavj5ev2Fc

US made one- https://www.solarcooker-at-cantinawest.com/sunfocus_solar_hybrid_oven.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.